Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Tallman said:
Thanks Free,

I'll put you back in my will. :D
That will is getting crowded! I know I'm in it (root cellar roof)! :p

Yeah, thanks Free-I'm trying the mayo. If it's good enough for Tallman's will....:D
Sylvie, you might notice that I put free "back" in the will. You see, when I put somebody in, that means that I have to take somebody else out. Guess who came out so I could put free back in? :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey, why was I taken out in the first place??!?!?!?

I forgot to subscribe to my own topic..... I would do the sniff test, because of the vinegar it keeps pretty well in a cold fridge. I would keep it in the back, not the door, if you don't use it too quickly.

Do a single recipe at a time. It is more likely to "break" and be liquid if you do too much at one time.

Speed? Hmmm....not too low, not too high! Just above low, starting to get into medium, if your machine is powerful. You will have to experiment. It should become something that looks like mayo within seconds, and stay that way as you are adding the oil slowly. I often will stir the last bit of oil into the mayo and hit the on button for another 2 seconds.

I do like the idea of experimenting with different oils. I will have to save the bacon grease next time we splurge on bacon and try that, ooooh, yummy on sandwiches, I bet. I may have to try a batch with chicken fat. Wouldn't keep as well, I suspect, but we eat a lot of mayo when we are making my cabbage-free coleslaw.

Bee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I will be trying to make my first batch of mayo after reading this post. The bacon grease addition is one I really want to try but will wait till I try a basic recipe.

I was wondering... if the mayo sometimes stays liquidy, do you use this and make it into a salad dressing?

Some of the peeps in my home, go through mayo, so fast, a store bought jar will be empty in three days. Now that we have an abundance of fresh eggs, I am going to make mayo and they will like it or do without.

Thanks for the tips.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bee said:
I will be trying to make my first batch of mayo after reading this post. The bacon grease addition is one I really want to try but will wait till I try a basic recipe.

I was wondering... if the mayo sometimes stays liquidy, do you use this and make it into a salad dressing?

Some of the peeps in my home, go through mayo, so fast, a store bought jar will be empty in three days. Now that we have an abundance of fresh eggs, I am going to make mayo and they will like it or do without.

Thanks for the tips.
I made a batch while I was in a rush one morning. lesson learned--never rush when making mayo. the egg was not quite room temp, so it did not turn out. I did however, put the thin mixture into macaroni salad. It was still quite good.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't know, you certainly can try! I am trying to get all toxins out of my life, especially my diet, and unless an oil is expeller pressed, I don't use it because of the solvents in it. So only extra virgin here. But there are other solvent-free oils out there to try. I'm thinking of trying sunflower oil sometime. Sesame has a distinct taste...it might be quite yummy!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried it today. I didn't have garlic powder (my husband likes to play hide and seek with me with it) and so ended up subbing garlic salt for both the garlic powder and the salt. The only reason it didn't turn out better is because I :hide read 1/2 tsp salt for 1 tsp. Yeah, it's a little salty. :gig It's okay though because I'm thinking about making another batch with no salt and mixing the two. I did end up using 3/4 cup EVOO and 1/4 cup veggie oil but we're also used to getting the mayo with olive oil so maybe that makes a difference.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yay! You did it! No more store-bought mayo for you! I make my zippy mayo with double salt and it is great on sandwiches, so if you like it, it'll be fine.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm trying to cut down on the amount of soy and canola oils I eat, which is why I'm avoiding the veggy oil. I'm sure there's some alternative to those, so I'll try to find it. But right now I have a full container in the fridge, so it'll be a bit.

Latest posts