me needs a small overhaul.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Does that (bile salts) work for someone who is waiting to have his gall bladder removed? My dad has been suffering for years,- recently had an attack ( at Easter), and his surgery date is in September. He is not having any fat at all right now.
Yes! Also, check the glands products at www.drrons.com , for other things that may help.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
is kefire alone going to give me enough pro-biotics to help start to balance out my gut?
I've made a lot of health changes and improvements over the last 3-4 years, and it wasn't until I started drinking kefir on a regular basis that some lingering problems have cleared up.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sounds like im going to have to get myself some kefir cultures going lol.

i have no idea what im looking at when i look for bile salts, i found one thats 500mg and your supposed to take 3 times a day...does this sound about right its nutricology brand "ox bile"

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The main thing with gastric bypass is that you can no longer sit and eat a large meal in one go, so you have to eat more often to get the proper amount of food/energy. Also I think the stomach breaks down certain things as well, so if it's not there doing that, then you want to be careful about what you eat and how you cook it, since it's basically going straight to your small intestine. Chew thoroughly, and eat slowly.

If the doc says "eat every 3-4 hours", then eat every 3-4 hours.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
neko thats part of my problem i thing...
when im stressed i dont eat, well i do but i tend to eat once, mabe twice a day and then when i do eat it tends to be pasta or rice as a "comfort"

your absolutly right i do need to get back to the every 3-4 hours gig.

you are also right that digestion is "fun" after bypass, malabsorbtion in general is part of how "the system" works after a bypass, and i will admit, ive been nauty this past weke and havent been taking my multi vit either...and i havent been getting even remotly close to enough fluids...im supposed to get a minimum of 64floz and ive been lucky if i get 1/2 that...

i started writing everything down again today and ive set my alarm on my phone to go off in 3 hour intervals to remind me to eat.
time to get back on the rules wagon.

im realy hoping the kefir and bile salts will help, and if i can get some funds together i think im going to try the fermented cod liver oil too.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That was my next suggestion, set a timer alarm to go off ever 3-4 hours, and then have a nibble. I'm not saying it's wrong to have rice or pasta, but maybe if you make a big batch ahead of time (plain) and then keep it in a big bowl that you can scoop out a 1/2 or 3/4 cup serving, and then add veggies/fruit, or some kind of sauce. Or, alternatively, a cup of yogurt, or handful of crackers, etc.

That way, you remember to eat, the measuring cups reminds you to eat small, and you are still getting good nutrition. Perhaps add a small glass of water or juice to the alarm setting, and you'll be getting plenty of fluids as well. Then you just chew very well (the small intestine wants things very well pulped, or it doesn't absorb very well. Surface area is important.)

The kefir (or even yogurt with live cultures) will do your gut flora well.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i picked up some brag organic apple cider vinegar today, (it has the "mother") i hear good things about this brand and it was on sale and i had a coupon so yay me...

still working on the bile salts, cant find anything locally so i will have to cave and buy online i think...

otherwise doing better wiht the writing things down part lol

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
With the Braggs, when you get down towards the bottom half-cup or so and the mother, re-fill the bottle with apple cider (unpasteurized if you can find it this time of year) and let it sit and grow. You will make more vinegar of your own. My first batch I just left in the bottle with the lid ajar and swirled it daily to get air into it. A mason jar works easier since there is more surface area to get air in.