Meal Ideas Help

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Folks! Three of the four children at my home are unable to eat anything that has milk in it. We have them every weekend which consists of 7 and normally 8 meals. I'm tired of the same ol same ol stuff.....yall got any ideas? We have pancakes, french toast, chicken fries, pickles, olives, corn and taters, sausage and fruit over and over and over and did I mention over again!!! Any thoughts would be great!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
taco bake which we love

3 or 4 tortillas

ground beef

tomato sauce

taco seasoning

between each layer put a hefty amount of browned beef that was cooked ith seasoning and on the very top pour your sauce until its dripping down the sides and pop it in the oven till hot

chicken sausage and yellow rice delish

in a pot of water cook boil and simmer chicken to include skin and bones until it falls off the bones
remove chicken from water and seperate all meat and put aside
reserve enough water for your rice to cook and you can freeze the rest
sausage-i use rogerwood or something similar just not breakfast sausage- cut up into quarter pieces and let simmer in reserved chicken broth for a good 30 min or so
heat to a boil and add you rice stir then add chicken on top and cover and let simmer

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We found out last week that there are some taco seasonings that have milk in them! Never would have thought that! We ended up putting chili seasoning on it, worked and tasted good! thanks for the ideas!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you just stick to things made from scratch it should be quite easy to avoid dairy. In fact it's much easier for me to think of recipes that *don't* have milk or cheese or butter in them than to think of ones that *do* :p

If you want taco seasonings, just google up a recipe for making them from Actual Spices, it is pretty easy, mostly just some cumin and chili powder and tomato substance of some sort, plus any garlic, oregano etc you like.

What about hamburgers; egg-based dishes such as fried egg sandwiches or fritatta or egg burritos; hamburger and noodle casseroles (basically homemade Hamburger Helper type things); fried potatoes and sausages; any kind of soup and non-cheese-containing sandwich; that sort of thing? And of course all vegetables are dairy-free as long as you keep the butter/cheese/cream offa them. (edited to add: tuna casserole made with broth- rather than milk-based sauce; salmon cakes from canned salmon; chicken 'lo mein' (fried spaghetti noodles with leftover chicken and a buncha veggies and a dash of soy sauce or other flavoring))

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'll post a link to my sister's blog post where she talks about how to cook and deal with her dairy allergy. She uses things like lard, dairy free margerine (smart balance has one), coconut oil, etc to substitute for the dairy in recipes.

Here you go!

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They can have soy milk, blue bonnet light butter and the like but there is something in ketchup that they shouldn't have and it's in watermellon too so when they are on a strict diet they can't have it. Thank you so much for the link!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Soy milk is not a food in my book. It can cause health problems due to thyroid issues. If you can, find some Almond Breeze.

A substitute for milk or cream that works really well is coconut cream or coconut milk. I use Farraon brand because it doesn't have added sugars.

Clam chowder made with coconut milk is delicious :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just Google the internet and search for non milk food products and meals etc. and I am sure a million meal ideas will hit for you.

There is way too much good foods in the world to make great meals to be limited just because of milk items LOL