Meat Bird Feed

MrsMitzy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Our main goal for our homestead is to be as SS as possible. To that end I have found a recipe to make feed for our laying hens, but I cannot find a recipe for homemade feed for our meat birds. They will be out in a chicken tractor, moved 2x a day so they can eat grass and bugs, but obviously we will have to feed them as well. Does anyone have a homemade meat bird feed recipe? Or am I just dreaming and need to bite the bullet and buy the stuff at the store? TIA!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine seemed to do fine on 21% meatbird 12 on 12 off, with constant water. I don't think I would go any lower than 21%, they grow very fast.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have fed my meat birds the same 16% layer feed for several years. They are getting some added protein with being out and foraging. Last bunch I killed were older than I liked and dressed at 6-10 lbs.... real big and meaty. 4-6 months old. They grow a little slower but they develop better legs when not pushed so much. I feed free choice.
I will add some cracked corn or scratch feed to get them "moving" more too for the exercise.
Because I get my feed delivered bulk, 2-4 ton at a time, I only feed one ration except for baby chicks. And the turkeys get it too after they are in the 12-16 week range... They get a higher protein feed when they are younger. They also forage more so get more "bug protein"....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cornish Cross we’re developed for fast growth and commercial feed. You can use alternate feeds, but that will slow down the growth and you’ll wind up feeding them longer, so not saving money. Bring them in, FEED them, 2 months or less, you are done.

I fermented the crumble after 3 weeks, using buttermilk as a starter. Leave a little in the bucket to start the next batch. Keep several buckets with lids, use one, refill, add water, stir and put at back of the line. It takes less feed and the meat tastes better. Feed Twice a day.

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What you are basically wanting to do is step back in time to an era before commercial feeds. As such you need to step back in time to that era in your resources . Here's a link to poultry books from the 1850's thru the 1920's .