MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anyone else want to report on the progress of their meat birds? Reports and pics are appreciated so we all can learn! I learned quite a bit from Snowhunter and her clabbered milk, although I didn't have the good milk or the clabbering she had it is still a useful tip and method of keeping young chicks, particularly the meaties, healthy and thriving.

My chicks are now 8 days old and have started to eat more so I am taking them to twice a day feedings with the intent to take it down to once a day when they are finally out on forage. They are growing well and I can report normal poops with no "CX smell" noted.

They have adapted well to the fermented feeds, are very active and have started to use the roost (an old pitchfork) that I placed for them. My goal there is to encourage roosting instead of lying on the floor at night. I'll be placing low roosts in the coop when the brooder is gone to see if they will all catch on to roosting instead of lying down...I think it will keep them cleaner, will promote leg strength and will keep the floor space open and aerated each night instead of being covered with hot bodies.

Tomorrow I place the poultry electric netting in which they will be free ranging. I want to see what it looks like and how much space it will encompass before letting them out into it. I will also be making a scare hawk(instead of a scare crow :D) for their paddock to see if this helps deter hawks. I figure the dog can use all the help he can get out here...lots of hawks and owls in these woods.

My scare hawk will be comprised of two lengths of pvc fastened to form the shape of a person, with the "body" piece large enough to slip down loosely over a push in fencing stake. The cross pieces, the "arms" will be outstretched and will have Walmart bags tied to the hands and maybe even a few CD discs. I will dress it in a large black plastic bag that will, hopefully, flap in the wind along with the walmart bags on the hands, while the discs spin and flash in the sun. The head will be a wally bag stuffed with newspaper, and she'll be wearing a straw gardening hat. I hope to also add "legs" outstretched like the arms and attach the bag in that area so that, hopefully, the whole thing will spin in the wind as the breezes catch the trash bag dress.

I'll let you know if it works like I want it to...spinning or at least moving in the wind, hands flapping and shining in the sun, hawks thinking we have a bag lady guarding the chickens! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's good to hear how your meaties are doing. I liked the pic of your Roo. I have decided to wait until later in the year for mine. Freezer is full and turkey is the word around here. My Bourbon Red Momma has hatched 6 chicks in the past 3 days.

At least I still have some fuzzy butts to fuss over!!

gina

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Will you be eating these turkeys, Gina? I've heard from others that raising baby turkeys is hard though they didn't seem that way when we were doing it back in the day. If you are eating these, could you show us pics and give us details of your feeding methods and such to get them butcher-ready? Sure would be nice to see some pics of your birds...I think the BRs are very pretty turkeys!

That also goes for anyone who is raising some turkeys for meat purposes...could you all give us your good methods so that others may be encouraged to do the same?

A side note: You all gotta look at how they cooked this bird and the videos that shows how to debone a bird for this method!!! I'm going to try it as soon as possible and we will also try it on any turkeys we get in spring gobbler season. :drool The chef in the video takes the meat off the bird so slick it's like watching him take a jacket off the thing....seriously a cool method.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/643526/free-cornish-x-worth-it

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee I am no expert on turkeys. But I will share my experience.

Yes most likely some will go to freezer camp. My 3 birds from a couple years back have really expanded.

A couple moved, some went in the freezer, I lost one hen to a coyote and sold another on Craigslist. Two of the original breeding 3 now live on my sil ranch. Living the fat and happy life. Tom aka One Eye is part of a children's petting zoo. He was always very friendly and well handled. We sent the Jenny his way because he was lonely.

The first 2 or 3 times my mommas hatched I pulled the chicks and kept them in a brooder. I had problems with the chicks being killed. I imagine the chickens and tom didn't know what to think. Poor babies.

This time I isolated the hen and gave her 8 eggs. 6 have hatched with no problems. She had them out of the nest box today walking around a bit. They are still in a small hut protected from the big bad world. I have a cat that likes to hunt and hes very good at it. My intention is for momma hen to do most of the work with this batch. So far so good.

I have 4 turkeys that were born the second week of December. They have been eating high protein feed and flock raiser. Not completely organic I know but good for growth. I think they will be perfect for next years holidays.

Thats about it for my turkeys.

g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, Gina! I'm hoping to hear more from others raising turkeys, ducks and geese for meat purposes and how they manage this. I appreciate your input, G...was wondering at what weight do you grow/process your birds for Thanksgiving meals?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There has not really been a specific weight. I really can't weigh until after their processed. For us its more a timing issue.

G

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'm just now joining the party :p

When I did ducks last year, we only slaughtered one of 16. I hatched too many. You should set ten at a time, and sell the duck hens. Just concentrate on the drakes for meat. I had no problems with Mamma doing these. But she was kept separate. This year I left her with everyone else, utter disaster. The rooster and drake kept her run off and we didnt get a single duckling. :/ But its still WAY early in the year.

My question is how does one go about putting the weight on home hatched roosters? I'm currently in an abundance of upcoming roosters. :p

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I'm just now joining the party :p

My question is how does one go about putting the weight on home hatched roosters? I'm currently in an abundance of upcoming roosters. :p
I have been thinking the same question... :pop I have 72 chicks now and another 80 eggs in the incubator. (I will be selling many that are in the bator now) but we plan on raising many of the roos for eating. I think I will separate the roos into their own coop-tractor. but if anyone has any ideas on a better feeding style for growth that would be welcome.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well... I guess that depends. I always just free ranged them and fed them the same as my layer flock and then just ate them around 5 mo. I always looked at extra roos as bonus meat that didn't cost me any extra or cause me any extra trouble to raise because they just were fed and housed with my layer flock.

I guess if one wanted them to be more tender, heavier and to be more fatty, they'd pen them and feed them high pro feeds.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found a place where I can get non-medicated 24% proteen chick starter for $8.60 a 50 lb bag. So maybe I will keep them on that and buttermilk every other day or 2-3 times a week. I can't free range, but we are making a moveable A frame tractor. so they can be on fresh grass.