MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am a Skinner myself, Gina. Can't stand the plucking by hand, but a machine would make it better.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Buster said:
My first batch of beasties earlier this week.

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/5/56/900x900px-LL-561b42ef_100_3885.jpeg

Like little piggies at the trough.

They are the original order of 125 from Mt Healthy in Ohio. We received another order of 100 this past Wednesday, and we picked up 65 at TSC and Atwoods. So far we have made some $1,500 is pre-sales at our local farmers market, and that is just from the first batch, mostly. That batch is due for processing on 5/16. We have spent a total of about 7 hours at the farmers market so far this spring, so things are going pretty well.

This arrives on Tuesday of this week. It should make processing a bit easier...

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/d/dd/900x900px-LL-ddcb6a47_HHGF.jpeg

We are going to skip raising in the summer, because it gets so hot here for them. Even experienced meatbird folks have trouble with the heat here, and we are none of that. If these sell out as expected, we will raise another 700 in the fall for our full 1,000 bird annual allotment for Oklahoma.
They look great!!! Yes...plucker envy! Those style of pluckers always look so violent to the meat, though, so you'll have to let us know how that works and if you find any downsides to it. I often find chickens one eats from restaurants with broken legs or broken knuckles on the wings and I wonder if it was when they were plucked.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
That is a good amount of birds! I dunno if I could stand to raise that many!
Money is a great motivational tool. :D

But it is a cause I believe in, as well. I don't know we will actually do a thousand this year, but over time, do hope to build to that number. It's just the two of us doing the processing, and DW is already getting cold feet. :)

As to the rest, I actually find working with birds hours on end very calming. And I'm very surprised at how much I'm enjoying working with these little beasties. I have been historically been very anti-CX, so this is a real eye opener for me.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a Chinese friend who for whatever crazy reason LOVES to help me slaughter. She eats a lot of the parts we won't, and so I give those to her for her work. She loves the combs, heads, feet, neck, organs, intestines, etc. and I can live without those parts for the assistance ;) I might be able to do that many with her help, but definately not without, even with the money motivation :lol:

ETA: I have been against the CX as well in the past, but have enjoyed these little monster buggers I have had the last 6 weeks :hu I dunno what all the hype has been about! They're just chickens after all is said and done.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's what I discovered also....just a little more hungry than the rest, but really just chickens. I find them cute...one of them keeps trying to stay close to me and tries to talk to me....follows me around some. It's not their fault they have big boobs and thighs~I feel their pain..... :D

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That seems like allot of to me too... but if you do them in "batches" guess it's not so bad. My son is building me a plucker... I still have to come up with the cash for the figures. Still, we can build it for about $150.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am seeing a need to increase nutrition on these CX and will mix layer mash with the whole grains today. That is what I fed last time and it was very satisfactory but I'm finding the plain whole grains seems to be lacking. Nothing I can put my finger on...they are active, putting on weight and doing well but they seem to lack that sleek factor that my last batch had. Their feathers look less smooth and glossy and they just don't have that rounded out and relaxed figure that I want to see.

I am purchasing 100# layer mash from the local mill today and will use it this evening. On Thursday these birds will be at the half way mark...another 5 wks before they are finished and I want to see each and every one mobile, sleek, well-rounded and healthy at processing day.

Heaven knows their little legs should be strong and able to bear more weight with all the running to and fro they are constantly doing! I rarely see them still and when they are, it is only for about 15 min. before they are up and out on the grass running everywhere again.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just add water, leave open to air and let them sit. Just like fermenting any ground seed, such as flour. Mine is fermenting a little more quickly as it has the fermented fluid already in the bucket. It just makes a mash, which is how laying mash was used originally anyway....I don't like mine soupy, so I let it be at a paste or even a wet sand consistency.

Latest posts