MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I will probably do the Welch's Hatchery then like last year. Although I am doing all hens. They are cleaner, and more active IMHO

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was looking at Cx from a hatchery (I forget which one to be honest) and they had Cx FAST growing and Cx SLOW growing... The slow growing ones took like 10-12wks and I believe dressed out up to 6lbs, while the fast growing took about 6-8wks and dressed out up to 8lbs. It is quite possible that you got the "slow growing" genetics, even though they weren't listed as such, because that's probably the only type that hatchery has.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
McMurray may have something like that as well, I ain't sure though

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Welp had good prices last year too. I got 25 Meaties for 39$ I believe....not sure what it is now. :hu

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm looking at $42 for 25, straight run. BTW, how long did it take from your order until they shipped? I'm looking to order 25, but really need to get an outdoor brooder or something setup before ordering, but don't want to wait to order, only to have them take a month to fill my order.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
On all of my poultry orders, it is usually a month. But we ordered them early and had them shipped them late.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder if I should just order, then if they come right off the bat, I can keep them indoors for a day or two until I can get them going outside. I can always use the kiddie pool for a few days.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That is what I'd do. I always keep mine inside the garage for at least 2 weeks. Then are moved to their respective spots.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend warned me away from Central. Contended the reason they look dp is because they are.

Latest posts