MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Welp had good prices last year too. I got 25 Meaties for 39$ I believe....not sure what it is now. :hu
I've heard good things about Welp from producers.

The hatchery does matter. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not sure you save anything if you save a dollar on chicks, but have to spend an extra two to raise them... and then get less meat in the end.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I just raised my first batch of meaties. I am wondering what to do with the guts and other left overs. I have four dogs. Is there any way to turn it into dog food? We are going to butcher this weekend. If anyone has any tips for a first timer that would be great! I will read through this thread as I have time. Also a friend bought a couple off of me. What is the best way to package the birds for them to take home? I am really hopeing this goes well because I will do more next year if it does.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We always dumped them. We just have one dog, and not a bunch. So we just dumped themp, as far as turning into dog food. I don't know :hu

What are some good tips on bulking up DP roosters to slaughter?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Save that organ meat, neck, fat and feet for the dogs....they love all those, especially the feet. Another lady on BYC feeds them the head but my dogs would never eat them...just carry them around and then leave them lying in the yard.

I cooked all the organ meats, fat and necks into a broth with some rice, cooked squash, eggs and the carcass bones and then just froze it into serving sized bags. I did this for my older dog that was getting short on good teeth and was having trouble chewing dog foods. She loved it. The legs I feed to my other dog as chew treats and he loves those as well.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Save that organ meat, neck, fat and feet for the dogs....they love all those, especially the feet. Another lady on BYC feeds them the head but my dogs would never eat them...just carry them around and then leave them lying in the yard.

I cooked all the organ meats, fat and necks into a broth with some rice, cooked squash, eggs and the carcass bones and then just froze it into serving sized bags. I did this for my older dog that was getting short on good teeth and was having trouble chewing dog foods. She loved it. The legs I feed to my other dog as chew treats and he loves those as well.
So just throw it all in the stock pot and boil till it's mush? Also why am I not getting alerts that there is a post? I did subscribe to the thread.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've never gotten alerts to posts on this forum...I think you can do that if you change settings but I don't want any more alerts....I get too darn many already!!!!! :p

I cooked all the bones, rice, squash etc. in the broth and added the organ meats raw as I was packaging the stew for the freezer.

Latest posts