Meat Chicken Breed

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am on the fence on what meatie to get next year. Three thing have crossed my mind: 50 Straight Run Buff Orps ( and keep the hens), 25 Cornish Rock Cross, or White Rock Cockerels. Or maybe Dellies. What do you think? The cornish my uncle had were tough this year. Plus they are Franken Chickens.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you don't want CX, I'd get 50 str. run White Rocks instead of the BOs. My WR hens are consistent layers, good broodies, good mamas, hardy and thrifty. I've had mine for 3 years now and they make the cut each year when I cull for productivity.

The BOs I had I went ahead and culled from my flock for nonconsistent lay, they ate way too much for their level of productivity and they constantly had bare backs from squatting so much for the roos. They never went broody but weren't a daily layer either.

You will not get the meat yields with either dual purpose breed that you will with the CX and the CX are so much more easy to process than a regular bird. Mine are extremely tender and juicy.

I'll be getting more CX next year. :thumbsup

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
If you don't want CX, I'd get 50 str. run White Rocks instead of the BOs. My WR hens are consistent layers, good broodies, good mamas, hardy and thrifty. I've had mine for 3 years now and they make the cut each year when I cull for productivity.

The BOs I had I went ahead and culled from my flock for nonconsistent lay, they ate way too much for their level of productivity and they constantly had bare backs from squatting so much for the roos. They never went broody but weren't a daily layer either.

You will not get the meat yields with either dual purpose breed that you will with the CX and the CX are so much more easy to process than a regular bird. Mine are extremely tender and juicy.

I'll be getting more CX next year. :thumbsup
I will probably end up with CX. I will probably get BOs though, I have wanted them for a while. What are your most productive non white laying birds?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That would be my Australorps.....4 years now and make the cut each spring and fall. Pretty, big and meaty, broody but not too much, consistent layers....very hardy and just nice personalities.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
That would be my Australorps.....4 years now and make the cut each spring and fall. Pretty, big and meaty, broody but not too much, consistent layers....very hardy and just nice personalities.
Where did you get them? We were planning on getting Buffs and Aussies. I may just do all Aussies. I dont need no hoggish chicken who dont lay well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got mine from my sis and she got them from McMurrays. I have a few second generation offspring also from these birds and you really can't tell the old birds from the young...they stay mighty pretty and healthy.

Yeah, I don't fool around with egg laying. A hen really has to be a consistent daily layer to stay in my flock...no room for slackers here.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I got mine from my sis and she got them from McMurrays. I have a few second generation offspring also from these birds and you really can't tell the old birds from the young...they stay mighty pretty and healthy.

Yeah, I don't fool around with egg laying. A hen really has to be a consistent daily layer to stay in my flock...no room for slackers here.
I might just do 25 Aussies and 25 Cornish from Cackle. Thanks for your tremendous help!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
YW!

I noticed Salatin uses Aussies and RIRs as his production layers and he processes these when they are retired.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
YW!

I noticed Salatin uses Aussies and RIRs as his production layers and he processes these when they are retired.
I thot about recycling my layers but I think they would be toughish. I did Rhode Island Reds last year and they didnt brood and thats a big thing for me. A reason I wanted the Buffs but if your having bad luck with em then I might just do all Aussies and my meaties.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can up old layers and it makes them tender as can be. No pun intended..... :D I can use them a variety of ways after they've been canned and old layers seem to have a richer flavor than young birds. Great for soups!

Latest posts