Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
another one down. you cant eat horns!

20220102_164349.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You may not be able to eat "horns" but you can keep them around as a remembrance long after the meat is gone.
i hunt for the freezer. we get one buck a year tho and save the horns sometimes.....but it takes 5 deer to keep us in red meat for the year and thats with eating chicken 3 nights a week. weve been out of venison since early december so im REALLY hunting for the freezer now.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice! We aren’t allowed to get does here but the meat is so much nicer than bucks, I wish we were. What’s the limit for you down there?
this is a special property that managed by geologist and game wardens directly. it has its own tags and they survey and issue tags every year that must be filled. MLD is the term. i dont get all the tags, my father in law farms the property so we get to hunt it. they give him 2 does and a buck or 3 does, but we may get more if no one else fills the tags. they are particular about the buck harvest. they want to have a bunch of trophy bucks i guess.

the regulations for normal hunting are different for each county. i think my county gives us 1 buck and 1 doe but its archery only so i dont hunt in my county. some counties are bucks only or have specific times when you can get a doe. i still dont know all the regulator rules.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really don’t know where DH got venison but there was a few small roasts in the fridge and two leg bones. I cut the meat off and put in water to make soup. DD4 helped me crack the bones and I put in a few chunks of meat. About to put in cabbage, onions tops and later other things. The boneless roasts are all in the freezer. I will get every meal I can out of them. DH was invited to go hunt with his cousin but he asked me if he should go stating the wife has COVID and DD and I both said no.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Besides collecting antlers which do have a lot of uses, I really do prefer buck meat to doe meat for the taste. The does need harvested to control the population in this rime of shrinking habitat.

Fawns are exceptionally good eating.
where we hunt they have a dozen feeders going all year so the deer eat alot of corn (it also helps curb them from eating crops) so they all taste good. anything corn fed is usually pretty good eating. lol