Meat Rabbit Class

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is where I should post this.

Saturday August 31 11 a.m.

Offering a two hour class on raising your own meat pens. Rabbits are fun, easy to raise, quiet and can supply your family with healthy, low fat, high in protein meat, at a fraction of the cost of high end meats you find at the grocery store.

I have been raising meat rabbits now for 4 years. My 1st year was totally unproductive and I almost got out of them. Let me save you the time and effort. This two hour class can save you a terrible year like I had.

Class will cover general care, housing, which breed is best for you, breeding, diet, health care, butchering basics. We will also have breeding stock available for those of you interested.

Preppers, homesteaders, back yard farmers or just wanna be's need apply.

Class will be limited to 10 people,
so get on our list now!
Class is $40 per person or $75 a couple.
Payment will be through PayPal

Some Fresh garden produce will also be available along with farm fresh free range eggs.

Class is in KC,MO

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If anyone offers a class in Tennessee anywhere let me know.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what do u guys want to know about rabbits?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

You shoot them in the late fall to early winter to eat. Else you shoot them in the spring and summer for eating up your garden. When you do shoot one, If you rub your hand across it's back and you feel bumps it ain't good to eat.

That's about the extent of what I know about rabbits. I would like to learn more though.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think they are talking about raising rabbits.

the absolute, most important thing is shade.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh just about everything 🤣 I haven’t bought my breeding set yet since we’re still building the hutches. The person I’m buying from is local and said they need a minimum of 30x30 each but they’ll be getting a little bit more space than that. All the reading and YouTubing I’ve been doing says that they need free feed hay and a specific amount of pellets, limited treats like veggies, fruit and greens. They have two types of rabbit pellet at the local farm store and I’m not 100% sure which to get when it’s time. One has 15% protein and the other is 18% protein. I’m assuming the 18% is for pregnant and lactating does? And maybe also grow out feed for meat rabbits?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh just about everything 🤣 I haven’t bought my breeding set yet since we’re still building the hutches. The person I’m buying from is local and said they need a minimum of 30x30 each but they’ll be getting a little bit more space than that. All the reading and YouTubing I’ve been doing says that they need free feed hay and a specific amount of pellets, limited treats like veggies, fruit and greens. They have two types of rabbit pellet at the local farm store and I’m not 100% sure which to get when it’s time. One has 15% protein and the other is 18% protein. I’m assuming the 18% is for pregnant and lactating does? And maybe also grow out feed for meat rabbits?

best cages are gonna be 30 deep and 36 wide so u can reach them. best feed is the show rabbit feed because it doesn't have any corn in it, but i feed regular commercial rabbit all year except in summer when I switch to corn free. never paid much attention to protein percentages.
hay is good. let them have all the want, but it's not a necessity. greens are good too.

freeze 2 liter bottles and put it the cages on hot days. i breed a week after kindle and wien at 4 weeks. the doe gets a few days with no kids. that way. stop breeding when temps get to 80. nobody wants to be pregnant in summer wearing a fur coat.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
they need to be in deep shade. shade is critical