Meat rabbits: choosing a breed

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if you can feel the difference.

I do know that many overweight rabbits will have a large dewlap under their chin. Flemish does should have one, but not HUGE.

You also want to find out as much history as you can - age, whether they've been bred, litter history if they have, etc.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
personally im planning on satin x New zealands and standard rex x new zelands as i realy want some cool pelts for crafitn with as well as nice meat.

the satins and standard rexes both make good meat rabbits on their own, but im hoping by geting tom NZ line in there ill get a better grow out rate for fryers...
i know to get the best pelts out of the rex ill need to age them to stewers, but thats ok too...for me at least. im hopign to get 1st gen nz/rex mixes to breed back to a rex buck as rex coat is ressessive...
havent done much reaserch on the gentics behind the satin coat.

i think if meat is your ONLY concern, id go with new zeland or california or crosses therof...
but for small scale i also think enjoying what you raise is important too, so go with something that appeals to you too!

im told that new zealands tend to be easier to handle than the californians.
and while flemish tend to be apealing due to size, there very bony compared to true meat breeds.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about Standard Rex also. But they are just as hard to find around me as Silver Fox and American Blue/or Whites.

Which is better for fur. Rex or satin. I hear they are both good. But I dont know. The Satins are soft. But Rex seem to be softer. ??? Hard to decide.

I think the Standard Rex should also be on the rare list. They are hard to find it seems. All we have around here are the Mini-Rex. I guess I could always eat small rabbits. And also have some rabbits that appeal for the pet scene. In case I need to sell off some. Alot of people around here preferre minis as pets over the bigger ones.

So much to think over. It seems every time I think I have it narrowed down. Then I find out about another breed. Like the Harlequin ones.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
they are hard to find around here too, which is one of the appeals lol.

as to which fur is better...

satins tend to have a better pelt at a younger age for higher class markets, a rex pelt takes a couple of years to fully mature and baby pelts (fryer and even stewer .-age isnt as good as a pelt from an adult bunny) i think youd get more for young satin hides if you were planning on selling them, BUT if your planning on just using them for your own fancy, both are wonderfull, the satin coat has just that, a very satin feel, its soft and slick, and oddly enough cool against the skin in warmer temeratures, it has a wonderful shine to it and is just very sofisticated...
the rex coat is PLUSH! even in babies, its incredibly soft and unusual, but it doesnt have that gorgeous shine, its more of a matt finnish, i persoanlly love rex fur for the likes of blankets, snugglers and winter goodies as it is very warm due to the natural loft.

satins i like for doing display peices, especially for garb, they just catch the sun and shimmer! definatly an attention getter.

personally id try and find a local rabbit show, 4H or otherwise and get an eyes on (and if possible) hands on look...and go with your favorites, remember your the one that has to look at them every day, might as well go with something you enjoy as well.

and also remember, while it may be harder to start your herd with a harder to find breed...you can also command higher prices for live kits when your all set up and started even if youve no plans to show.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I had been wanting to get rabbits for a while now, and just had a talk with hubby last week or the week before saying (well, he was saying and I was kinda agreeing) that my plate is pretty full right now, and I'd wait on the rabbits.

I have a nice hutch I got for free sitting in my yard just BEGGING for rabbits!!! :barnie Darn it, I want rabbits!!!!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rabbits are VERY easy to care for. Unless you are butchering, tanning, selling rabbits, etc.

It isn't the day to day care that is demanding, it is the handling of the rabbit products.

That said...

I think it is also important to understand that with rabbits, when you are talking about Feed to Meat conversion, the differences between the best and the worst are still not that wide.

The WORST converting rabbit is only going to take an extra lb or two of feed more than the BEST converting rabbit, for the same amount of meat. That's a difference of maybe $.25 or $.50.

On a big scale (commercial operations) that adds up.

On a small scale backyard operation, where you can feed your rabbits homegrown wheatgrass and alfalfa shoots, and vegetable scrap, the differences need not be significant.

Especially if you need Dual purpose, and can get a salable or usable hide out of them as well.

I have a long list of rabbit types that I eventually want to raise, most of them rare, a few not.

But if you plan on butchering tiny rabbits, you'll drive yourself nuts. Hard enough butchering eight rabbits for the amount of meat that full sized meat rabbits produce.

Also, the size seems to be directly related to the "cuteness factor", and the cuter the bunnies, the more traumatic the whole butchering process. :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
steve_of_sandspoultry said:
My wife did a grow out journal on BYC for Silver Fox vs a Cal/NZ mix.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=428915&p=1

One of the best "side features" of the SF is you also have the pet appeal. They are very friendly and layed back rabbits and we have no trouble selling what we don't process.

Steve
Hey Steve!! Can you pop on over to my "foamy bubbles in hatching egg thread" in case you may be able to solve the mystery for me? It's in this same category (Everything Else Sufficient Living). Thanks!

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:

One of the best "side features" of the SF is you also have the pet appeal. They are very friendly and layed back rabbits and we have no trouble selling what we don't process.

Steve
Hey Steve!! Can you pop on over to my "foamy bubbles in hatching egg thread" in case you may be able to solve the mystery for me? It's in this same category (Everything Else Sufficient Living). Thanks!
Done :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:

Steve
Done :)
Thank you! :D