Meat Rabbits - My First Processing

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday I butchered my first rabbits. My father was helping us with some construction on the barn and I asked if he would demonstrate for me. We had two New Zealands--half red and half white--that were exactly three months old. We used the "stick" method--held their back feet and struck their neck just behind the head with a strong stick. They died instantly and bled out very quickly. We then case skinned them and managed--even though they were young--to not damage the hides at all. I'm planning to tan them when I have more so they were soaked, rinsed and frozen.

We saved the livers--very clean and BIG--and the meat. Cleaning rabbits is about 300 times easier, cleaner and less smelly than chickens. I put the meat in a big bowl of water until I got them to the kitchen, then we froze them in ziploc bags. I haven't had rabbit in 15 years! It was an experience butchering our first "born on our farm" young rabbits. I think I'll be able to do it on my own from now on. I didn't get AS emotional as I expected. I keep telling myself that I'm taking care of my family and my homestead, and I'm not a bunny-killing monster. Sometimes all the stuff the "anti-meat" people say makes me feel guilty or second-guess the farm lifestyle I'm trying to get to.

Anyway it was faster, easier and cleaner than I expected. Yay!

HWC

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good attitude and it sounds like you got some good experience! Welcome to the forum! I have an idea you are going to add some valuable components to our little forum. I'll be interested to hear about how your rabbits tasted.

To me, food I've raised myself seems to have more flavor just because I took it from the day it was born all the way to my table....feels good, doesn't it? :)

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I have been reading on this forum since June and I finally joined. The rabbits are beautiful and I got many compliments on their parents. I have one gorgeous red NZ buck and one red and two white NZ does. I plan to stock the freezer and share the wealth. We also breed French Angoras, Lionheads and Dwarf Hotots. I plan/hope to learn to spin my angoras' wool into yarn and we will use all of the manure in our big garden. Rabbits are such a multipurpose animal!

HWC

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HWC Good Job! I am proud of you. It sure is a lot easier then a lot of people realize. It just a matter of being taught.
One way I explain to people is I want to have at least one meal a week that lived a wonderful life and had one bad second with me.

I have also found out that we tend to waste less of the food we worked so hard to raise. Whether its a garden item or an animal, we tend to respect it more when we dont just get it at the store.
Good luck in your ventures and enjoy the good food your producing!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HandledWithCare said:
Thanks for the welcome! I have been reading on this forum since June and I finally joined. The rabbits are beautiful and I got many compliments on their parents. I have one gorgeous red NZ buck and one red and two white NZ does. I plan to stock the freezer and share the wealth. We also breed French Angoras, Lionheads and Dwarf Hotots. I plan/hope to learn to spin my angoras' wool into yarn and we will use all of the manure in our big garden. Rabbits are such a multipurpose animal!

HWC
Oh! I would love to get a dwarf hotot. They are so darn CUTE!

Latest posts