Medicinal herb container garden

John_henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Realseeds is a good source. Manny of their seeds are rare heirlooms, and all are open-pollinated (non-hybrid) so you can save your own seed for future years. They are based in the UK, but I think they ship abroad.

Shella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is a project I want to start some day. . . . .

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Such a kind of a garden is going to help us a lot. If the medicinal plants are being grown hydroponically in our own garden then it will benefits us economically very much. If we do have knowledge of what plant is used for which medicine than we can get better health too but that is a part of the medical personnel.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
brandylorton said:
Such a kind of a garden is going to help us a lot. If the medicinal plants are being grown hydroponically in our own garden then it will benefits us economically very much. If we do have knowledge of what plant is used for which medicine than we can get better health too but that is a part of the medical personnel.
I haven't looked much into hydroponics, so I don't want to knock what I haven't tried. But I do know a little about herbs. And my understanding is that the medical benefits of plants are not purely from the plant itself, but also from the soil it is grown in, and the way it is grown. Therefore, personally, I would not use artificial fertilizers, and I would plant them in the ground, with compost and/or manure. No doubt they would be of some benefit grown in any way one could manage, but, IMO, they would be better grown organically, with their roots in the soil.

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
brandylorton said:
I haven't looked much into hydroponics, so I don't want to knock what I haven't tried. But I do know a little about herbs. And my understanding is that the medical benefits of plants are not purely from the plant itself, but also from the soil it is grown in, and the way it is grown. Therefore, personally, I would not use artificial fertilizers, and I would plant them in the ground, with compost and/or manure. No doubt they would be of some benefit grown in any way one could manage, but, IMO, they would be better grown organically, with their roots in the soil.
Thank for the information here. Actually i am quite new to the medicine world and just thinking what can be good so do not know the facts. So nice to see you atleast you know what is good and whats is not.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
John_henry said:
I also love aloe and use it a lot, great for burns and the skin in general, plus it's easy to grow.
Err... mostly easy to grow. I think I've almost killed mine. But then that really isn't a surprise... :rolleyes:

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
ninny said:
I am wanting to do a medicinal herb container garden this year. What plants do you use the most?
-- St. John's Wort
-- German chamomile
-- Feverfew
-- Echinacea
-- Ginseng
-- Plantago major
(My bolding)

I'm a member at a Ginseng forum and none of the guys (who have been growing it for many years) have had any luck with growing Ginseng in a container. It is a woodland plant and definately needs certain soil conditions and heavy shade in order for it to grow and prosper and an herbal container garden does not qualify. ;)

Growing Ginseng

Dawn, 1st year ginseng grower

Latest posts