meds

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of my co workers told me that they have lots of fish meds for emergencies. Aqua-pen and Cipro something or another. Are these safe for people? Do they work? I have penicillin for the horses but from what I've read its unrefined and can cause tenitus(sp?).

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have no clue about fish meds being safe - I do know that my vet gets my pet meds from a people pharmacy across the street. The last time the vet prescribed antibiotics for the dog it was Cipro. They ask me if I minded picking it up and I said no. I ask the pharmacist if it was the same as people Cipro and he said yes. So I saved it - and it saved me a Dr visit about 6 months later.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
One of my co workers told me that they have lots of fish meds for emergencies. Aqua-pen and Cipro something or another. Are these safe for people? Do they work? I have penicillin for the horses but from what I've read its unrefined and can cause tenitus(sp?).
Get real wouldn't you get very angry with your vet if he destroyed your horse by tetnus (my guess at sp) true not all animal meds are as good as human meds but many are exactly the same with the dosage changed. would I use them to save money I don't think so but if they were the only meds avaible I would.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
terri9630 said:
Get real wouldn't you get very angry with your vet if he destroyed your horse by tetnus (my guess at sp) true not all animal meds are as good as human meds but many are exactly the same with the dosage changed. would I use them to save money I don't think so but if they were the only meds avaible I would.
You are absolutely correct.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
terri9630 said:
No I didn't mean tetanus. I mean tinitis. The ringing in the ears.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know about tinnitus, but I do know that if my life was on the line and I needed antibiotics and the only ones available were animal meds, I would learn to say "Moo"

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I don't know about tinnitus, but I do know that if my life was on the line and I needed antibiotics and the only ones available were animal meds, I would learn to say "Moo"
Me to. If I was braver (or uninformed) I could just run down the road to Mexico and get some amoxicillin. You can get a bottle of 100 pills for $6 bucks.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
~gd said:
terri9630 said:
You are absolutely correct.
It totally baffles me why Amoxicillin for dogs and cats is so utterly exactly like that given to children - pink and bubblegum flavored. Now, maybe the dogs like it, but I can assure you that none of my cats have ever been happy about pink bubblegum :lol: But yup, its just the same as your pediatrician gives to your kids.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know whet to find the horse/cattle Penn but where do you get the cat/dog stuff? Is that a vet only med?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
I know whet to find the horse/cattle Penn but where do you get the cat/dog stuff? Is that a vet only med?
I assume so. I have only ever got it from the vet. Sorry, I sort of drifted off topic there; I wasn't focused on obtaining animal meds, just musing about the silliness of bubblegum for cats :lol: