Meet Pearl, New Horse

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Love her coloring, Bay! I hope she fills in nicely for you and becomes a biddable, sweet riding horse.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, I can see properly now how awfully thin she is, poor thing! But in a few weeks she'll be as fat as a tick and happy, happy again! Bless you, Bay, for giving the poor darling a wonderful new home! I'm looking forward to following her story and progress.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know if it still works the same way, but the kill pens around here would sell you a horse out of the pen right up to the time the blood test came back clean and they could ship the horse out. A friend of mine got some really lovely horses that way but missed out on some really nice ones too. She eventually got to know one of the workers there who cared about the horses and he would call her if a really awesome horse showed up.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I asked my husband, he said horses go through the meat auction in MA, but they don't ever get offered out, they just ship them to Canada.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I gave her 2 cups of pellets. Not one morsel escaped her. I m going to wait a couple of days to worm her.

1400f596-ba1d-4375-b966-c556c6049935-jpeg.29191

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lovely girl! You are going to have a nice one there in a couple of months. THEN we will get to see riding pics.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She looks like she's settling right in. How is her behavior? Load good, behave on lead?

We rescued a pony a bunch of years ago. He was in really bad shape and just the sweetest little thing. But, when he got all the medical attention he needed....wormings...teeth floated...groceries - he turned into a little holy terror, lol! Bad shape - great attitude....Great shape - bad attitude. He eventually came around to my way of thinking but I never did trust him around the kids so he found a new home fairly quickly. A no-child home.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She loaded right up, no problem. She is a little pushy on the lead, but follows along good. Maybe she just walks faster than I can limp along. LOL Because of my crap knee, I wanted a smaller horse than 16 hands and I wanted another TWH. For some reason she reminds me of skinny horses tied out on a rope that you see sometimes, driving down the road.