Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is Pearl yesterday.

1f0d3d45-d863-44ae-a83b-0f8b3752e44a-jpeg.29263

aa6bd229-6f8f-411a-93d4-1a7f7b25848f-jpeg.29264

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning Pearl was pacing the fence wanting HAY! And FEED! She tore hay out of my hands before I even got it in the trough. Now she stands at the fence, pawing impatiently while I get her pellets. She is feeling much better, I know it's a bad habit, but I can't help but be amused that she now feel good enough to be pitching a little hissy fit.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so much better when circumstances lead them to discipline themselves! Your hand and her head bop were perfect! I expect as she feels better and better she will get a bit sassier. I also expect that you will be totally on top of it and let her know that bad behavior is not acceptable.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have continued with "talk to the hand" while Pearl tries to get around me, she even tries to run in behind me, but I head her off. I feel like a cutting horse after a calf. LOL So this evening, after we did the feed dance and I let her eat, I scratched her on both sides, then pushed on her chest and told her to back. She did! Pearl backed away from her feed that she so desperately wanted! I let her stop and stand for a moment, then stepped aside and let her eat again. This tells me that she is compliant, not a hot head and will listen to me.

I am real excited to report something that I had not mentioned, but she has no more wet farts! Her gut and intestinal tract was so messed up, to start with, that she pooped undigested pieces of hay. When she had gas, liquid gooshed out and splattered on her back legs. She passed liquid when she pooped too. I figured her gut bacteria was dead or practically nonexistent due to her being so starved. I gave her the Garlic Barrier for worms twice, then gave her 8 ounces of live culture yogurt. I gave her Garlic Barrier again. Tomorrow I will finally worm her with the horse wormer, an ivermectin product. I will wait a few days to let it clear out of her system, then give her the yogurt again. But the GREAT NEWS is that her intestinal tract is back on track and no more wet farts! I don't see pieces of undigested hay in her poop any more, I do believe Pearl is on her way to good health. Also tomorrow I will take new pictures, it will be her 2 week anniversary with us.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo - no more wet farts is a big deal, lol! I can only imagine how much better Pearl must feel... (and you won't have to spend any more money on Depends for her!)

Can't wait for new pics. I expect there will be a noticeable change!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The last picture makes me want to buy another and ride!!!! My minis just aren't ride size and still have 12. :)

Have a friend who does a lot of group riding, like joining up at weekend rides, etc. She's been asking me to go -- even has the horse for me to ride. :D

Then there's the other animals to care for while gone, etc....
Feed and water no problem. Milking goats is. :idunno Actually many places close to ride and her farm (inherited) is almost 200 acres -- wooded & leased to crop. So, even at her farm, lots of trails. This summer I may get "back in the saddle", if time.

Always loved to ride and once horses gone, things in life changed and riding wasn't there. In some ways I hate to go ride with her because -- there it is -- I may want my own horse again. Of course, I may NOT :lol:

Latest posts