Meet Pearl, New Horse

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you Dear Lord for a good horse.
Amen! So glad that worked out so well.

I had a very similar experience when my daughter was small. We were actually at our pasture burying a dog we had to have put down. Emotions were high and DH and DD were working on digging. I decided to feed the horses to get them out of our way and was in the feed room. The youngest mare was trying her best to get in the feed room with me, as usual, when I noticed my DD (maybe 3yr old at the time) was trying to squeeze into the feed room too. She had walked up behind that mare...mare picked up that back foot...and DD proceeded to hug her around the hock. All I could see in my worst imagination was that horse kicking back and my DD going flying. But, I softly "ahhhh'd" the mare and she set that foot down ever so gently. Whew...Thank you Dear Lord for a good horse!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Earned her rescue right there, didn't she? I had a horse when I was a teen....a really GREAT horse. My sister came to visit and her daughter had been taking riding lessons, so they got her up on the horse to "demonstrate the proper way to ride"....and got really frustrated when the horse wouldn't move a step, no matter what she tried. Wouldn't even shift his feet. They started to tell me what a poorly trained horse he was and how I needed to get him to a trainer before anyone could ride him.

Finally, I had to inform them that he won't move a step when little kids are standing around his feet....which there was at the time. A 3 yr old nephew had wondered into the picture and was standing right next to his front feet. I was snickering inside all the while she was nudging his sides, holding the reins out, clicking, and trying to turn his head.....anything to get him to move. They left in a huff not too long after that.

A well trained horse stands rock steady when little ones are scampering around. Sounds like Pearl has had previous experience with little ones, huh? Good horse, Pearl!!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've hit the wall with Pearl. She gained weight and leveled off. I think the key is grass, but there isn't enough. I sowed bahia seed behind the barn, kept the horses off all summer. I've been letting Pearl graze all day on it, added cracked corn to her feed, feeding her twice a day. I set out to restore her to good health and weight. It has become evident that maybe she has never had good health and has always been underweight and starved. I've wormed her twice before I let her on the grass. She is systematically grazing it down. She is looking a little better, but still thin. I can't restore what she never had. I can't stand having a skinny horse.

Come early spring, I'll take them off the pipeline and dry lot them at the barn. I'll sow giant bermuda on the pipeline, then they will have to stay off it all summer. The bahia pasture will be in it's second year and I will be able to let them on it, but not a lot. They are going to hate me....... LOL But in another couple of years, I'll have 2 pastures to rotate them on and hopefully plenty of grass.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some of these critters are so challenging!

I have a goat that I could never get weight on. She was a very young goat during the time that my parents were with me. I had precious little time to do anything outside with my animals and she was one of those that was very hard to catch. As a consequence, she didn't get the coccidia/parasite treatment and prevention that she needed. She's never been a plump goat. I threatened to sell her many times, but I refuse to sell a "skinny" goat. She's still with me and now that I'm using a new worming regimen she looks better than she ever has and is now one of my milkers. She has an absolutely beautiful udder with nice long milkable teats. I'm also milking her half-kiko daughter.

Pearl might have just reached her peak. If her teeth are good, and I know you're feeding her good - she may very well have an absorption problem. Whatever the case, she's so much better off with you than where she was headed!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You may never get her where YOU want. She's so much better than before. And her life may have been one that will keep her at this level forever, or not.. you have not failed her, or yourself, far from it!! Try senior feed.

But -- if you ever feel the need to re-home her, tell me! :hide