Melt & Pour Soap Making Formula

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I want to make a melt and pour soap but am unsure as how much to use in oils.

Is there a formula to use that shows how much in ounce's to how many pounds of soap base?

I am trying to develop my own recipe.

bob

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmmm......I'm not sure I understand. I thought "melt and pour" was a ready-made soap that you buy and re-melt and pour into your own molds.

Do you mean that you want to make soap from scratch, with oils and lye? A batch of soap totally from scratch?

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
melt and pour starts with a base glycerin when you melt the base you can add the goat milk, oils of your choice and then pour into molds.

I'm not sure at what levels of oil's can be added to the base soap.

Example: I am planning to start small with a 2 lb bar of clear base glycerin. From there how much can be added with the ingredients you choose.

Would one or two cups of goats milk be adequate along with an 1/2 ounce of essential oil of different oils?

From some ingredients I see some people add shea butter, palm kernel oil, and/or coconut oil.

bob

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You can super-fat melt and pours. I remember finding recipes a few years ago but the computer I had them on crashed. I made a few batches and added olive oil.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't know about melt and pour soaps, but I make goat's milk soap. The goat's milk is not an oil in the recipe, rather, it replaces the water. So I don't think, from your description, that it is suitable for the melt-and-pour type of soaps.

But I'm just guessing here.

chickenvirgin

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The company that you buy the melt and pour from should also have the perscentages allowed when adding extra oils, essensil oils or fragrance oils. Going over the limits could affect the end product.

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Found a site that is helping me some to understand the fats and oils used in soap making.

http://www.soapcalc.net/

The site has calculator's to show you at what percentage's your additive's are in the soap your making.

I'm getting there slowly but surely in understanding soap making.

bob