Memes That Make You Giggle

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not at a job but I forced the developers to make changes to an online game. Played Ultima Online for years since the beginning. If you get stuck in the game it's automated to move your character to town if you click "Help", then "I'm Stuck". Used to need an actual Game Master to move you and that was hours of waiting in queue. First they had to put in teleporters in the larger spots you could move in even if stuck.

This started because of of general game mechanics being exploited by individuals. Mages in the game can open "Gates" to teleport groups of people to different locations that have the exact tile location marked by the player. You can dispel the Gate with a different spell. The Gate apears on both sides. Destination and Origination points. Anyone can walk through, even if the origination point is someone's house.

Many people would jump these gates because you could attack and kill other players outside of town. They made it a habit so they could loot what the people had.

A friend of mine and I would go around and mark tiles in spots that you would have to use spells to get out of. Most fighters couldn't cast these spells. Most of the player killers were fighters. We go into town and randomly open gates and the other would dispel it as soon as someone would just run through.

There were also spots that didn't seem like they were in town that we marked. In town if someone attacked you, stole from you, or looted a Blue (innocent) body, you could yell "Guards" and the guards insta killed them. Then you could loot Grey (criminal) or Red (murderer) bodies without penalty.

We'd open Gates to these weird town spots. The other was at the spot with Dispel spell ready to get rid of the Gate when someone went through. Person who went through would see just a mage and attack. Guards would kill them. Then we could loot their body. Our favorite spot to do this was an island in the middle of one town that you couldn't see the rest of the town on the map. This was good because now their ghost was stuck there until a Game Master eventually showed up to move them. Game Masters eventually got fed up and put a teleportation tile on the island. Then the developers eventually added the "Help" "I'm stuck" feature.

If you weren't stuck you could run your ghost around until you found a wandering healer or one back in town. Or ran across a mage who could cast the resurrection spell.

Our getting them stuck took quite a few of the player killers main characters out of action for several hours, often during peak play time. Made life better for those who didn't want to do player versus player.

There were some other things we did that also caused game changes. Finding legal exploits was always great fun

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20221024-184053.png