Memes That Make You Giggle

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dec. 21: The days start getting longer after this day, thus, IMO (yeah... I march to a different drummer) spring is ON THE WAY.
I realized that you were probably referring to the days starting to get longer after the first day of winter... I was thinking it was about 9 weeks to groundhog day.... Unfortunately, our winter happens more after the first day of winter here, the days don't seem much longer until after we get through January at least..... so I don't start to think of spring happening til after the first part of Feb..... different outlooks....but I think that you see more of a day length increase up there since the days are so short in the winter... we don't see as dramatic a difference here..... I remember being in Alberta Canada and it was daylight out at 11 p.m. but it wasn't that light in Virginia when I left. More dramatic differences in the daylight length further north due to the angle of the earth's axis.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Viewing it this way is the only way for me to keep my sanity. The days are so very short. Add to that: I may go days at a time without ever seeing the sun b/c it's overcast so often this time of the year.

7:09 AM

Monday, December 21, 2020 (EST)
Sunrise in my town, ME

3:58 PM

Sunset in my town, ME

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know that feeling. Tacoma is only 20 miles away. Sun rises later here for us than you in Maine so it's light later. The days are so dark with clouds that when we do have sun, it's uncomfortable even for normal people. I'm light sensitive so it can be excruciating for me. Even wearing my dark, full coverage sunglasses it is painful and I have to keep wiping tears.

7:54 AM

Monday, December 21, 2020 (PST)
Sunrise in Tacoma, WA

4:22 PM

Sunset in Tacoma, WA

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Barrow is one of Alaska's northernmost cities and during winter it gets complete darkness for two month out of the year. During the summer, the sun doesn't completely set in Barrow from early May until the end of July.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Viewing it this way is the only way for me to keep my sanity. The days are so very short. Add to that: I may go days at a time without ever seeing the sun b/c it's overcast so often this time of the year.

7:09 AM

Sunrise in my town, ME

3:58 PM

Sunset in my town, ME

8 hours 49 minutes of daylight.

I know that feeling. Tacoma is only 20 miles away. Sun rises later here for us than you in Maine so it's light later. The days are so dark with clouds that when we do have sun, it's uncomfortable even for normal people. I'm light sensitive so it can be excruciating for me. Even wearing my dark, full coverage sunglasses it is painful and I have to keep wiping tears.

7:54 AM

Sunrise in Tacoma, WA

4:22 PM

Sunset in Tacoma, WA

8 hours 32 minutes daylight.

Our dawn is 45 minutes later than yours by the clock.

We get right the same amount as Presque Isle, ME. Friend of ours was from there and we figured it out one year because he claimed Maine was further north than Washington.

Many US maps are tilted so latitude can get confusing. Minnesota has the furthest north point in the contiguous US if I remember correctly. Yes I pulled up a map.

usanewzd.gif