Metric? What do think?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy St Patrick's Day.

Along with all the other stuff - corned beef etc - I decided to bake some soda bread --- which I love, and my diet strongly discourages - but its only one day, right? As it turns out, the best recipe I have comes from one of my Irish cookbooks. And, as it also turns out, I have an American cookbook with exactly the same recipe, but "translated' (the latter is credited as being from the former). So, looking at both, I see that the American version has a lot more leeway, more "about 1 cup", and such - quite obviously because "1 cup" (for example) of flour can be so variable, depending on how it is measured. Whereas a measurement in grams is pretty exact no matter who is measuring it. The only variable in the Irish recipe was in the amount of buttermilk, which is perfectly natural, as different flours will take up liquid at a different rate. As I have a scale I chose to follow the Irish recipe.

So, I ask, when will this country finally decide to join the rest of the world (except, I understand, Myanmar - but I'm not sure what their standard of measure is) and go metric? I understand that it is "how it has always been done", and "how my parents did it", and "has always been good enough before" - but how do you feel about it? How would you feel about joining the rest of the world in this? Do you feel strongly about it, one way or the other?

One little story about my own difficulty with change - I happened to be in England in 1971 at the time of their switch from their old (and rather complicated) money system to metric. I had spent some time learning the old way (as I had lived within the system for several years) (12 pence to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound), and was quite familiar with it. I also was (am) American by birth and upbringing. On the date of the British changeover I was as incensed as any Englishman; I was furious that THEY had changed things that I had finally learned to navigate; How DARE they? And yet, they were changing from a very antiquated, and not very logical system to one that I was perfectly familiar with. I must admit that I still rather miss the old shillings and pence. But 100 pence to the pound makes so much more sense than 240. I know that, and I (finally) admit it. Will America ever admit that metric makes more sense than our present antiquated way of measuring?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
While I know it and can use it if needed I hate the metric system. don't wanna change.. gonna drag my feeties and complain and whine all the way into the future..
lol
I hate to say this but many people complain about my recipe as there are no really hard measures as I am a pinch of this and a glug of that kind of cook. I know the whys of why things are combined in certain orders and how much etc but can not tell ya why or how I know.. I've been accused of not giving my recipes to people when they ask as it never turns out like mine. People tend to sub things out and not know that it won't work. metric is like that.. I can sub it in but it is just not the same!;)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my opinion the metric system for all measurements is far superior to the American way. President Carter started to make the change to the metric system for the USA back in the late '70s but somehow lost his momentum and it fell through. I really wish he had followed through with it.

I'm a retired mechanical engineer and my entire professional life was mostly math and physical science. Billions of $$ and billions of manhours have been squandered in the USA by clinging to our measurement system that has no logical basis whatsoever.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Kids are taught metric in school (as was I), but they seem to use it more and have a better grasp of it. My 17 yr old grandson can switch back and forth between the two with no problem. Me? Well, if they made metric mandatory now, I'd be using a conversion chart regularly.

I thought the push was for the upcoming generation to be the transistion for the US to make the switch to metric. I read that somewhere a long time ago....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I very much dislike the metric system myself. I like things as they are. Glad Carter didn't get the changeover accomplished!!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
While I know it and can use it if needed I hate the metric system. don't wanna change.. gonna drag my feeties and complain and whine all the way into the future..
lol
I hate to say this but many people complain about my recipe as there are no really hard measures as I am a pinch of this and a glug of that kind of cook. I know the whys of why things are combined in certain orders and how much etc but can not tell ya why or how I know.. I've been accused of not giving my recipes to people when they ask as it never turns out like mine. People tend to sub things out and not know that it won't work. metric is like that.. I can sub it in but it is just not the same!;)
Emerald, I cook this way too :lol:. The advantage that I see with metric is in baking, as a little more exactitude is required. Especially now that I have a grain mill I appreciate being able to weigh the grain before grinding, and ending up with the proper amount of flour after grinding - not a cup more or less. Keeps those little jars out of the 'fridge, and the flour is fresher when I use it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity said:
In my opinion the metric system for all measurements is far superior to the American way. President Carter started to make the change to the metric system for the USA back in the late '70s but somehow lost his momentum and it fell through. I really wish he had followed through with it.

I'm a retired mechanical engineer and my entire professional life was mostly math and physical science. Billions of $$ and billions of manhours have been squandered in the USA by clinging to our measurement system that has no logical basis whatsoever.
I guess there were too many other things putting stress on Carter for him to be able to push too hard for metric. Too bad, really; if he had succeeded we'd all be over the learning phase now.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I very much dislike the metric system myself. I like things as they are. Glad Carter didn't get the changeover accomplished!!!
Nobody likes change. When I first moved to Ireland as a schoolgirl I hated having to deal with the pounds/shillings/pence, but by the time I left, several years later, I had it straight, and hated (as I said above) when the changeover to metric money took place in 1971. My DH is German, and his sisters and brother still live over there, so we visit fairly regularly. That meant we had to make the "changeover" to the Euro, at least when we visit - and that was also no fun (though at least it was metric to metric :lol:) When I lived in Germany, when first married, I always had a conversion chart handy. DH (an engineer) even got me a pocket calculator that changed American Standard to metric to British Imperial at the touch of a button - I didn't use it often; who needs to be THAT exact? :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'd prefer metric. When I have to calculate something I have to convert everything to metric for the formula, and then convert it back to USA units to give the results to a client. It is a royal PITA, plus extra mathematical steps are extra chances for mistakes!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i grew up wth metric...and i HATE it, i much prefer lbs and ounces and cups and yeah...
i dunno...
mabe thats one of those left vs right brain things, math/logic type people seem to prefer metric, yet all the artsy/creative brained folks ive met (even in the uk) seem to prefer the US method lol