Might be adopting a pony with one eye

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We might be adopting a 7 year old standardbred pony with one eye, however I took a look at the questionaire tonight for him, and I'm very concerned about a few things.

Do you understand that ownership is considered after a 2 year adoption, but not guaranteed with ponies due to children outgrowing them etc:

That was one of the questions, and what bothers me is that we would be financially responsible for the pony, but there is a good possibility that in 2 years they could come back and say, oh too bad, we're taking him back now. When we buy or adopt a horse or pony, we're in it for the long run and having that looming over us would definitely affect the level at which we could connect and get emotionally involved in his training.

Thoughts?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Ummmm.... I would definately have to question that part of it.
Maybe its like some dog adoptions. You have to agree to contact them and tell them you no longer want the horse instead of giving it or selling it to someone else.

I looked into adopting a wild horse once. I could not believe all the red tape. Completely and totally turned me off. I am thinking, here I am, with a fenced in pasture but they want me to make my fence 2 foot higher. Plus they want to come visit me for the rest of my life. And like you ownership was not guaranteed.

I figured my house was much better than the glue factory. Apparently they felt differently.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A horse rescue organization told a friend, who was going to adopt an unsound horse as a companion for her and her other horse, that she would not be allowed to have him as her other horse wore shoes and might kick the adoptee- she said they did not even ask whether she would be willing to remove the back shoes. And then they gave out her phone number to someone looking to dump one of their unsound mules- when she said that she didn't want it, the guy cussed her out.
Now she won't go within a million milles of one of their horses. So many of these agencies lack any sort of good judgement about real animals. Of course, since they can't find anyone good enough for their horses, they now have no money either as they are taking care of so many they "can't" find homes for.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we're not going to take him, the woman was beyond rude and extremely patronizing. I've adopted from another rescue before, and they had a contract but you were given proper ownership as soon as the horse was placed with you, this other rescue also did fostering. What this woman is doing is just fostering masquerading as adoption. Also, to top it off she wanted to know even after the 2 year period if we sold the horse, and give her the contact information of the new owner. Uhh, no, that's not morally sound, whatever happened to privacy?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sounds like a wise decision.
Some of the adoption/fostering agency's take things way beyond whats need. A good home yes, but years of follow up. No - that does not even happen when you adopt a child. I wonder what they are thinking. I ask a local animal rescue organization once how they ever expected to find homes for the thousands of animals they had when they make it harder to adopt a dog than to adopt a child? I got no answer. Now with the economy so tough they are begging for people to bring donations. Not adopt. Just help them keep caring for the animals they won't adopt out.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hi there Chick-a-dee :) I agree, sounds like too much of a pain in the neck. Surely you can find something suitable through Heaven Can Wait, at least if you hang out for a while, uh, waiting :)

Good luck,

Pat

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Hi there Chick-a-dee :) I agree, sounds like too much of a pain in the neck. Surely you can find something suitable through Heaven Can Wait, at least if you hang out for a while, uh, waiting :)

Good luck,

Pat
Yes! Plus, she reduces her adoption fee for Christmas :p We had to give one of our horses over to her a few years ago, a fine framed black Shetland pony named Cujo, who we bought from Barkeys for $50, however he had been a stud previously, and had some bad behaviours, the place we boarded said get rid of him or we'll throw all your horses out (3 at the time), and we didn't have a choice, he's now a little girls hunter pony.

We may go to the peterborough auction and get a pony destined for slaughter, as there are many that are still capable of being ridden, trained, and will live long lives, and rehabilitate it.