Milk to rabbits....../meat

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took the time to read the entire article. All I can say right now is WOW! I'm trembling with anger.

Let's start a discussion on how to combat these ridiculous big-gov rules and laws. I'm in my late 60s and it has been my experience throughout my years that any time an individual is given a government position there is a great potential for that person to become a power hungry maniac.

Just look at our nation's capital. The only people there are power hungry maniacs. We really need to devise a way to combat these people.

Here is a very scary component of this problem . . . the government is the nation's biggest employer. Oh where have we gone wrong!?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i 100% agree that it is ridiculous...

but it was accepting the contracts to sell to the pet store and petting zoo that got them...

as an unlicensed breeder they can sell an unlimited number of bunnies to private owners...

however only up to $500 in "wholesale" contracts to any "resale" facility (pet store and petting zoo contracts)

the fact that their laywer didnt catch this, and the fact the petstore and petting zoo hasnt mentioned that they needed to be usda lisenced after a certain point the petstore at least are suplied with copies of all these rules and regs reguarding who they can and cant buy animals from...

now if they can go back through thier papers and find that they only made $500 in comercial sales to the store and zoo they could easily fight the fine...
and could easily fight the inspection in that the inspector didnt use any kind of official measuring device (im prety sure a finger is not a govt accepted unit of measurment...)

its 100% ridiculous...

but id be finding a new laywer who does know the law (this is not a hard law to find is you search "rabbits" and "law" and its certianly not difficult to understand...

(link removed - file moved or deleted - support)

id also be holding petland accountable in part, firstly because petland (from experience) is nothing but a corporation run by scumbags *shudder* and secondly because petland is very aware of the rules reguarding who they can and who they cant purchase from in terms of USDA licensing, and their records...

i feel so sorry for these people, a blunder on their part and rediculousness on the part of the USDA has put them in this position, the usda had acess to this information long ebfore they filed the charges and these folks should have been told, this is the law, this is what your doing wrong, so if i were you id stop doing that part...
the inspector should have told them when there this is why were inspecting your facility...

the information is readily available on the internet, but to those not internet savvy or have no acess, this is not info thats simply spat out, and the usda is trying to cover their butts in the other linked article...

ugh, scumbags...

but yeah for info for anyone on this forum selling rabbits...your SAFE from USDA hamer as long as your not selling to comercial accounts...
"Unlimited direct sales to pet owners"
"Under $500 in wholesale sales"

keeps you as a "hobby" breeder and safe from the usda's nonesence.

these folks need to fight this!

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I really don't think this is some government versus the little guy debate, and lawmakers don't have much to do with it.

The family didn't find out the laws that apply to them. That doesn't make it OK. Ever get a speeding ticket when you didn't know the speed limit?

Anyone with a business needs to do their homework and find what laws apply. Just because they grew unexpectedly doesn't make them any less responsible.

IF they had not sold to a pet store or petting zoo - if they had looked into the AWA, this would have not happened to them! This DOES NOT apply to families or small meat-raisers. ONLY to those that sell to pet stores or petting zoos.

Another note that SHOCKED me was the age they sold their rabbits at. Here it is very illegal to sell a rabbit before 8 weeks (with the exception of ag and research sales).

That might have been abother way their fines grew so large. They might have been fined for every rabbit sale documented under 8 weeks old. Like every individual sale to the pet store or petting zoo.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Opening a business should not require a lawyer or a ton of research. They were selling rabbits, not plutonium!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Opening a business should not require a lawyer or a ton of research.
I disagree. My fiance bought an established business. He spent 6 years groomed for it and 1 year of research!

There is a reason why most start-up businesses fail! Not doing homework and getting big fines is one of those reasons for failure!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You should fail in a business because you make mistakes and don't service customers correctly or sell the wrong product. Not because you fail to jump through the proper hoops.