milk usage suggestion

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a half gallon of milk from the store (2%) that hasn't turned yet, but is pretty darn close.

what can I do with it? can I make anything? I don't have any starter so can't do cheese. unless it's the kind you make with vinegar.

any ideas?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would not suggest making cheese type stuff from old storeboughten milk; you will not get a good-tasting or long-lived product.

I would suggest cooking with it, perhaps making rice pudding which is quite easy and inexpensive.

Everyone has their own favorite recipe, here is mine (note this is for just 1 qt milk, you could double it for your half-gallon, I usually double it myself):

Rice Pudding (the real kind):

1/2 c white rice (if you use brown, add a little more milk)
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 quart milk
2 eggs, thoroughly beaten in a *large* bowl

Mix everything *except* eggs in a pot on low heat, cover and simmer til rice is tender, ~45-60 minutes. Pour about 1/3 of this hot milk-rice mix into the bowl with the beaten eggs, stirring constantly, to 'temper' the eggs, then pour that all back into the pot and mix well. On medium heat, stir constantly til it starts to bubble and thickens to coat spoon. Chill and serve.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would cook with it.....the only things that come to mind are not so good for the waistline though.

Mac N Cheese
Pancakes
Muffins

Cheese sauce for veggies

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Any milk that needs to be used up at my house gets turned in to yogurt.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
from scratch pudding
crapes

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Any milk that needs to be used up at my house gets turned in to yogurt.
can I make yogurt with out some starter?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You really do need something...even if it is a couple of tablespoons of some commercial yogurt. You don't have to buy the dried culture.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd be reluctant to culture milk that is on the verge. It has bacteria working in it right now that a culture won't likely be able to overcome at room temp. I'd cook it.

I make a lovely pudding by replacing some or all of the sugar with stevia. Any cooked pudding recipe will work and is delicious!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I'd be reluctant to culture milk that is on the verge. It has bacteria working in it right now that a culture won't likely be able to overcome at room temp. I'd cook it.
I agree. It may not work well or for long, and is not going to give you a product that's much better than the milk you started with. (Old raw milk, not a problem; old storeboughten homogenized-pasteurized milk, not so much, because ANY old thing could be growing in it)

Other things involving cooked milk include a mess of chicken-and-noodles in a white sauce or cheese sauce; tuna casserole; tapioca pudding; or lemon sponge.

Have fun,

Pat

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks ya'll

I made a batch of vanilla pudding and a double batch of dark chocolate pudding.

Everyone in the house is excited about pudding an thinks I amazing!!! how funny is that?? :lol:

Latest posts