Mincemeat recipe?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have meat, apples, raisins, oranges, lemons, almonds and spices.
Got a recipe for me?
Oh, and I want to use honey if I can.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a good vegetarian recipe, with apples, pears, and green tomatoes; that's the only one I have that I have tried, and know to be good. I have a number of recipes for mincemeat with meat, but have never tried them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made this one from this site: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/can_pie/mincemeat_filling.html

Festive Mincemeat Pie Filling
2 cups finely chopped suet
4 lbs ground beef or (4 lbs ground venison and 1 lb sausage)
5 qts chopped apples
2 lbs dark seedless raisins
1 lb white raisins
2 qts apple cider
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
5 cups sugar
2 tbsp salt
Yield: About 7 quarts
Please read Using Pressure Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.
Procedure: Cook suet and meat in water to avoid browning. Peel, core, and quarter apples. Put meat, suet, and apples through food grinder using a medium blade. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, and simmer 1 hour or until slightly thickened. Stir often. Fill jars with mixture without delay, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1 or Table 2.
Table 1. Recommended process time for Festive Mincemeat Pie Filling in a dial-gauge pressure canner.
Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of
Style of Pack Jar Size Process Time 0 - 2,000 ft 2,001 - 4,000 ft 4,001 - 6,000 ft 6,000 - 8,000 ft
Hot Quarts 90 min 11 lb 12 lb 13 lb 14 lb
Table 2. Recommended process time for Festive Mincemeat Pie Filling in a weighted-gauge pressure canner.
Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of
Style of Pack Jar Size Process Time 0 - 1,000 ft Above 1,000 ft
Hot Quarts 90 min 10 lb 15 lb
It was one of the first things I pressure canned and it tasted overcooked. I liked the recipe, though, and think I'd make it again and maybe freeze it instead, or make a lot of pies, or reduce the recipe.

ETA: Way too sweet, too! Raisins are very sweet. I didn't use the more expensive white raisins, just used all brown raisins.