Mini Cattle!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I dont know if you all have heard of these but they are bread ( not genetically engineered ) cattle to be about the size ( height ) of a large dog. Even the milking breeds could produce enough beef for a small family for a year on less than a dollar a day for care! They thrive well on grazing and do well with hay over the winter. We are very limited on space and are looking to get a bull and about three heifers. We can supposedly keep them on less than an acre

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Intetesting... they did do it with horses. Hehehe I just pictured mini cows running around, so cute!:lol:

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you can keep them on less than an acre than you are looking at feeding a lot of hay. Alpacas are around 150-200 lbs and it is suggested not to have more than 5 to an acre and I'm betting that these guys need more grass/hay than an alpaca would. Plus they would probably quickly beat up a pasture and then there is the manure everywhere. I would look into that a little further. I don't think they will end up being as cheap to feed as you think.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is very interesting, about a month ago we were at the auction and a small cow came though, we all laughed, as we had never heard of such a thing. Now this info---wish I could of talked hubby into buying it, the price was very low, as all the cattle guys weren't interested in it.Sure would of looked cute out in the pasture

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There are several breeds of small, heritage cattle. I SO WANT some Irish Dexters!!!!

007.JPG

http://fulloflifefarm.blogspot.com/2009/02/dexter-cattle.html

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
By "keep" 3-cows-and-a-bull-on 1 acre, do you mean "feed entirely during the growing season", or just "they can live there but we will feed a lot of hay even in summer"? And, is that meant to include raising up their offspring?

All I can say is, it would require careful management and smart rotational grazing to keep four SHEEP and their offspring on just the grazing from a single acre even if it is good pasture (especially if it is just one acre, not like 40 sheep and their offspring on 10 acres, which is a much easier situation to deal with even though the stocking density is the same)... and these critters are bigger'n sheep ;)

Plus if a slaughter-age steer was maybe 220 lbs, that's probably what maybe 100 lbs of meat, ish? That would be less than 2 lbs of beef per week, not much for most families these days. (Well, multiplied by however many animals you do per year, obviously)

I dunno, I am not quite seeing the math angle here.

They are *cute* of course. And really I'd be sort of interested in learning more about them as *milkers*, the other miniature breeds I've seen are still a big big and high-production for me but maybe I've not looked into it enough.

Pat

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey Rebecka!

i would LOVE mini cows! the only real drawback i see is that they are wildly expensive (around here). with what you are paying you might as well get a full sized gal...or a big truckload of goats

:)

i'd be interested to see what you find out - from what i see they would be a great solution for us. or like WZ says - there are some heritage breeds that are on the smallish size.

and of course there is Daisy, who loves me more than Bourbon Red.
;-)

the folks over on the herds site tend to bash on the mini cows so dont be surprised at the reaction if you ask over there. i still dont know what all the hatin' in about.

me, if i had pasture and a wheelbarrow full of money, i'd buy up a big slew of them and make a ton of money selling them.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
There si a Mother Earth News article on dexters--I have researched them alot. I believe pasture requirements for one are 1/2 to one acre per head, supplemented with hay in the winter. There is no way you could have 4 on one acre. I have an acre dedicated to my 7 sheep (which are much smaller than a cow) and I still have to rotate them to the front yard and part of the horse pasture to make sure they have enough graze.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry to be a Negative Nate, but since when has 'cute' meant saving money? LOL.

Two dairy goats could produce as much milk as one mini cow, if not more, and still have a cheaper feed bill.
If you have the money and don't mind the expenses, I say go for it, but many other animals are more economical.