mini green house / seed starter cover plan??

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a clear shower curtain that the holes are ripped off the hooks, so I thought I could use it to make a small seed starter cover/mini green house thing. (does that make sense?)

I have some thin pvc pipe that could probably bend into an arch, but not sure how to actually build anything. I have some wood too.

I have a friend that was quick to let me know starting seeds wasn't worth the trouble if you don't have a green house because they tend to bolt. I'd like to start seeds 'cause plants are so expensive.

any ideas?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Build yourself a little frame....wood..rectangle. Then get some brackets to put the pvc in and mount it to the frame. Stretch your plastic over....makeing an overlap where the "door" is. This way it is easily accesible, but the moisture and heat wont escape. Let us know what you come up with!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Like SHE said--You GO GIRL!!!! Get them seldings planted!!! :bun (Ignore your critics. They need to get cleaning their floors with a toothbrush, to keep 'em occupied.)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yup, that shouldn't be hard to put together at all, and you'll have fun doing it! You can also attach the plastic tubing to pipes the you hammer into the ground next to the rectangular box that you make. I am thinking of doing something like that this spring.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
do ya'll have pictures? I'm such a visual person, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around constructing something unless I can see it

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will be doing this sort of covered tunnels this year in my garden to stretch my seasons and to get seedlings off to a good start....at least the ones I will be direct sowing. My regular bedding plants will be started inside as per usual but will later be transferred to a tunnel to harden off.

Note, if you live where it is windy, you will have to anchor your sheeting very well. Some suggest wrapping the the sides/ends around a pole, 2x2 or something similar and weighing it down, or even piling dirt along the edges and laying stones on this. I prefer the pole method, as I want to be able to thin out and view my plants without a lot of fuss.

Latest posts