Mini wood stoves

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll admit that ever since I got my tack shed, I've had the idea in the back of my mind that I'd love to have a small wood stove in it. And, I've read older books where houses have small wood stoves that they'll put in rooms, run a pipe into the chimney, and take it out when the weather is warm. So, I started looking for a small wood stove. Only problem being? The only one that I can find that seems to be what I'm looking for costs over $1000!!!!! :ep It weighs a whole 35 lbs and is 12" x12". http://marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm I can't justify that kind of expense. (Though I'll admit if I were to find a used one for super cheap, I'd probably jump on it!)

Not only would I like one in my tack shed, but I've wondered about them for some on here that have older houses that might actually be set up for them, but just don't own them. Has anyone ever seen a house like this, and know where to get little stoves at a reasonable price? The other thing I've thought about is learning to weld and making my own, but I'll admit that that idea is a big daunting.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I like that a lot!!!!! Too bad the cost is prohibitive! Hope you get outside a bit today Deb!!!!!! Have a great day!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you'll look at the ads at the bottom of this page there is a stove made by Vogelzang called a Boxwood...it is the stove I've heated with for the last 5 years and I simply LOVE it! Small but mighty, it heated my whole 2 story farm house and kept a nice, even heat. You could bank it up with a minimal amount of wood each night, have good even heat all night and still have wood burning in the morning when you open the door. It has a flat surface on which to cook and 3 ways to damper the flow of heat...it's cute too.

I had the setup where the stove pipe just runs into the chimney that ran up the middle of the house. Each spring I removed the stove and pipe and stored it in the garage. Locally and new this stove would cost me $350 but the ads at the bottom of the page have it for much less.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
The boxwood is too big for my shed. The Sardine is the perfect size, but waaaaaayyyy to expensive!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I gave away an old FatBoy stove this past year that you would have loved! Small, upright, cute as a button....I'd been using it as a plant stand but originally it was used to heat the chicken coop when the old folks who built this place still lived here.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought a small cook stove from Harbour freight for the garage. It's bigger than that one though.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is a potbelly stove too big too? Because I'm sure you could get one of those cheap off ebay or craig's list... I've never had one, so I don't know how small they make them. I've always thought potbelly stoves were so cute! The tall models might fit better in your tack shed... I just had a BALL googling potbelly stoves. Here's the vertical model. I WANT ONE. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12426605

Denim Deb

Reaction score
luvinlife offthegrid said:
Is a potbelly stove too big too? Because I'm sure you could get one of those cheap off ebay or craig's list... I've never had one, so I don't know how small they make them. I've always thought potbelly stoves were so cute! The tall models might fit better in your tack shed... I just had a BALL googling potbelly stoves. Here's the vertical model. I WANT ONE. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12426605
Yeah, they're too big. But, thanks for the suggestion. I've seen a few of those for sale.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a potbelly and its real hot. It can tend a nice size house, but I have heard that there is such a thing as a mini pot-belly.......no personal knowledge about its operation though.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I have a pretty small Dutchwest Federal stove with cooktop in my kitchen. I have been using it for about 30 yrs. I looked at the mini stove in the pic. Cool!:cool: I want one.:gig but I have absolutely no use for one, I just think it is so cute! Maybe for a small greenhouse?

Latest posts