Minimum Amount of Clothing

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to go through my stuff and weed out the stuff I don't wear. Most of the time I just wear one of about 4 pair jeans and a tshirt; and I will wear the same ones again if they don't get dirty (although I will change the underclothes daily - shudders). I have some turtlenecks and sweaters and thermals for winter, a couple of shorts for the really hot days, and that's pretty much it. I have a few nicer things, including a gorgeous hand painted silk jacket that is quite simply the most beautiful piece of clothing I have ever owned-- it's about 11 years old now, but I only wear it maybe 2 times a year, so it's still looking pretty good. I have 3 pairs of shoes- sandals, clogs, and winter boots; and one purse.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm weeding out this winter too :)

Not just clothing. Going through everything.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Britesea said:
and one purse.
yikes---one purse

I have over 10 in my closet to match some outfits and situations....lol

Had a bunch more but I weeded thru the old ones and sent to goodwill....of course to check all the compartments for money first :lol: :lol:

I have to say I like purses and have to CONTROL myself constantly when I do shop. Purses catch my eye!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I get in periodic moods and go crazy packing up stuff to donate. (I just sent a big garbage bag full to the Salvation Army last week.) But I still have LOTS of clothes.

I think people that work outside of the home or farm need quite a bit more clothing, just so they are not judged pitiful at work. Quite a few of the clothes that I have were acquired when I was still working, because of the above rule. I will be keeping most of them, however, because even when I bought clothes for work I kept an eye on what I will wear in my personal time as well. Most of my "slacks" for work were purchased at TSC and are in reality khaki work pants! :lol: Many of my winter "tops" are also from TSC and are secretly men's thermal Henleys. My fancy "girly" tops are all just glorified T-shirts.

Now that I am no longer in the workforce those nice work clothes, are getting shifted into the real work line-up. As things get worn out they will get pitched. I shouldn't be needing new chore clothes for some time to come. :D

Oh and own ONE purse and about 5 pairs of shoes and a pair of boots. Those things are totally boring to me.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I think all you folks with the dressy and nice clothing should invent one good excuse each year for puttin' on yer glad rags and goin' out on the town...just to justify keeping them that year! ;) :D

If I had a ball gown I'd wear it with bare feet showing. I'd pick flowers in it, curl up on the porch swing with a book, wear it to Family Dollar or just to the library. Life is too short to keep all the pretties and silkies locked up for a special occasion! :D
Back when i was in college, my girlfriends and I were going to a woman's university, guy friends had to be inported. We decided that we were going to have a "formal" dinner together. We got out those bridesmaid dresses that only get used once and went down to the 24 hour pancake house. What a blast we had. Every one came over to our table to find out what the occasion was. Got great service that night.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it's funny how priorities can change over time. Back when I was working full time outside of the house, I was a clothes horse, and especially loves shoes and purses. They are still clogging up my closet. Now I have one pair of Skeechers sandals that I wear almost year 'round, and a pair of sneaks that I wear when I absolutely have to wear socks in cooler weather. And I have 2 pair of high heeled sandals, one white and one black, that get all the wear if I need to dress up. All the other shoes need to go! My husband would agree. :rolleyes: I did buy 5 new tank tops recently, but only because they were only $3 each and I wear tanks almost exclusively. The get worn and stained pretty quick. And then they get demoted to sleepwear. Sexy, huh!

Now I get my shopping fix in the gardening department. :D

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put the emphasis on buying clothes that will last. That means buying clothes made from good quality fabric, that are made with good construction, and are not too stylish.

When I do buy new clothes, I go to a second-hand store, like Savers. If you can sew a tiny bit, you can learn to adjust pants leg lengths and even waist bands, which really improves the selection.

For the clothes I do have, I try to maximize their lifespan by washing not too often. I try to close zippers, avoid bleach, and use short agitation times. I also repair clothes---a stitch in time, and all that. Also, darning socks is easy and can be done while watching TV.

Shoes can also last much longer with a little care. I wash athletic shoes, repair the inside of the heels, glue down soles, etc. I have a few pairs of dress shoes, but they're multiple years olds and made out of real leather. When I buy another pair, they'll have leather soles, too, so that I can have them repaired.

We have a budget of 300 $/yr for clothes and shoes for the 5 of us. The kids are still young, so I anticipate spending a bit more in the coming years.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea said:
and one purse.
One purse here as well. :)

Didn't even carry one for years :rolleyes: and just kept my wallet in my jacket or jeans pocket, but once I stopped carrying a diaper bag I found it was handy to have certain things with me.

And I forgot to mention that despite the fact I have lots of clothing, much of it is from second-hand stores like Value Village. It's just where we shop, all 4 of us. And the stuff we get for the kids is usually in good enough shape to pass on once outgrown to the two girls down the street who are a year and 3 years younger than my youngest.

You can get great work clothes there, even "designer" name brands--especially for men (they have lots of suits and blazer jackets). I don't know who is getting rid of all this nice stuff that has hardly been worn or just needs a good cleaning, but it is quality stuff that has stood us well for years :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One purse here also. I hate the need to even carry a purse, so I find an appropriate sized/many pocketted purse that is half way pleasing to the eye and I use it until it is worn out...then I finally go on the prowl for another purse. I average a new purse every 2 years.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I need a purse. I carry everything from my makeup needed, to all my extras. Vacation especially...seems 'everything' goes in Moms purse LOL
I really do treat my purse as a lifeline :p