Mint Jelly recipe, anyone?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi--I'm looking for a recipe that is tested and great! I've found lots of recipes online but prefer one that one of you knows to be wonderful. I have gobs of chocolate mint to use up---mmmmm!! Thank you!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have never made it but it sounds delish! I would just go ahead and use a recipe online--I would imagine thay are all pretty much the same anyway.

When we lived up north, I made chikecherry jelly, and rosehip jam and jelly. I got the recipes online and all were great.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here is the recipe that I use. I have also used Chocolate mint in this recipe. It is from the ball book of preserving. Just for your info I do double this and it works fine as well.

1 cup firmly packed mint leaves
1 cup boiling water
4 cups apple juice
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups sugar
Green food coloring (optional)

Put mint leaves in a bowl; add boiling water;let stand1 hour. Strain mint leaves, pressing to extract the juice. Measure 1/2 cp mint extract. Combine mint extract, apple juice, and lemon juice in a large saucepot. add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Cook to jelling point -or untill jelly sheets from a spoon. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired. Ladle into hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adust two piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Is there anything that mint jelly is really good for except serving with lamb? (which I'm not into. The mint jelly part, not the lamb part). I have all the mint in the world and keep being tempted, but then what would I *do* with it?

Pat

me&thegals

Reaction score
Patandchickens, I was actually thinking of putting it on toast and crumpets :)

Thanks, Nuggetsowner!

prairie girl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Pat I have a recipe for jalapeo mint jelly - it's a small batch recipe that is wonderful with cheese and crackers. Would that interest you?

me&thegals

Reaction score
hey--it would interest ME for sure! I have both going right now. I have a friend who makes goat cheese. Somehow I can picture a layer of goat cheese with your interesting-sounding concoction on top :)