Miriam met our vet tonight

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I got home from work today, I found that Miriam had explosive diarrhea while in her crate. I even had to clean the wall next to the crate. It apparently happened earlier in the day, because some of it had to be scrubbed. I let Miriam and Dixie out while I got to work on cleaning. I thought I heard a yelp, but wasn't sure because it is very windy here tonight. I looked outside, and both Miriam and Dixie looked fine. Miriam wanted to go out again a little while later and this time as she squatted she yelped several times. So I started making phone calls to find a vet who would see her after hours. The vet did xrays and stool analysis and everything is normal. Her intestines are inflamed though from the diarrhea. I was sent home with diarsanyl and metronidazole.

My current suspicion is the Purina One Lamb and Rice. On Friday, Saturday and Monday morning, Dixie through up her breakfast almost immediately after eating. Miriam has been also eating it, but she didn't have any episodes of diarrhea until today, and she never threw up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, can someone recommend a food for sensitive stomachs that doesn't have chicken as the main ingredient?

Thanks

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
poor pup :(

chicken is usually what i recommend for sensitive tummies - do they have an allergy or something? lamb can sometimes be a bit hot. did you transition them slowly to the new food?

i'm not familiar with purina brand, sorry, but i do know there are other options with fish-based, beef-based and venison-based foods for dogs. natural balance makes dog foods called the "limited ingredient diets", they're a little pricey but not as much as some other brands. the nice thing about them is that they only contain one protein and one carb, no grain, which can be more gentle than a whole slew of things mixed together. of the LID foods of that brand, they have a fish, a venison and a duck; i would avoid the duck for now as it can also be a bit hot (duck is fatty). this is a brand that i have personal experience with, but i'm sure there are other brands as well by now. good luck. :)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah - our vet recommended boiled chicken breast for our dog after he ate chocolate and had his stomach pumped. Said it was the easiest on their system. He sure loved it!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We can't do poultry because Dixie is allergic/sensitive to it. I'll run to the Co-op during lunch to see what food they have there.

Dixie has been on lamb and rice for years and Miriam has been on it since we adopted her at the end of July. Once off the track and into the adoption program, the dogs usually get dog chow or whatever donated food they have.

Thanks

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. :( Our dogs used to get the same food, but I think they must have c hanged their recipe because Scooter will not even touch it now! It gave him really bad diarrhea. Right now he's on metronidazole also, and it has helped a lot. I'd look into Taste of the Wild, because its' affordable and good quality. Or see if there's a California Natural dealer near you, they've got lots of good foods and I think they've got a fish and sweet potato one. Right now ours are on Exceed Lamb and Rice (it's a Sam's Club brand) and they're doing well on it.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'd guess they either changed their formula then, or "messed up" a batch. honestly, if i were you, i would call purina with the bag's datecode in hand and report this. there have been far too many pet food recalls over the past few years for various reasons. if they say they haven't changed anything and haven't had any other reports, then i would do a careful search around your house and yard, make sure that there's nothing else the dogs could have gotten into or any evidence of someone throwing food over the fence or anything like that. could be something as simple as a well-meaning neighbor throwing them hotdogs or something =/

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Poor puppy :( I don't like it when mine are sick either.

I'm surprised that the vet didn't suggest fasting for 24 hours (water/broth only) to give their tummy a break. When my pups are sick I simmer chicken breast (bone in), add whatever veggies are in the fridge, clove of minced garlic and rice. After a couple of hours, I take the meat off the bones (discard bones) and mash up the veggies. For the first day, they get just broth and I gradually add in more of the meat/veggies until they are getting a chicken rice stew.

Hope she is feeling better soon.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Well, I think the problem may have started when they switched over to those "meaty chunks" or whatever they're called. I did call Purina and report the diarrhea and ask if they'd had any other complaints, and they said no. :rolleyes: They did send me a coupon for a free bag up to $50. We assumed it may have been a bad bag so we tried another bag. Nope, same issues. :/

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Miriam had a small meal of hamburger and rice this morning before I left for work. She was wary about going outside this morning, but eager to do so when I got home.

I picked up some TOTW with bison and venison today. I will gradually add that to their hamburger and rice after a few days of just hamburger and rice.

Annette