mobile living...

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
very recently my son has purchased and is fixing up an older 33 foot motorhome...
with the thoughts of it being home...
he was quite shocked at the cost of pad rentals..
and is not necesarily considering this...
how have others managed ...???
how do you handle power/water issues...

right now...it has no fridge
..working stove..
lights power airconditioning..is fine..
a good generator but it is quite loud...so I am sure would not
want on 24/7

any advise would be greatly apreciated...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We lived in one with two kids and two dogs in six month increments on DH's job sites or nearby. It's really not that bad. Then again we did have a home to come back to also. The energy and water is not really a big deal when you're renting a spot, it's usually provided. I wouldn't mind too much living in one full time if it were just me and the hubby. If I were single it'd be my preference actually.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes He may end up renting..a spot .but was hoping to hear how others have managed through issues...
It is my son girlfriend and dog...but they feel it big enough..

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we moved here we stayed in our Rv for 5 months 2 adults, 2 kids a cat and 60lb dog. It could feel a bit cramped sometimes but we liked it. If you dont like the new neighbors its easy to move.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're living in a 22' camper...doc, myself and the dog and cat. It gets cramped, at times...especially during bad weather, but we've survived it for nearly 3 years now. :cool:

We bought the camper as a fixer-upper and were fortunate that it at least had a propane stove/oven. We bought a dorm-sized electric refrigerator/freezer, which is small but covers the basics.

From 9/09 until 1/11, we used a generator for power. We only ran it for a few hours each day to recharge cell phones, batteries and sometimes the computer (laptop) to watch a movie. When the generator wasn't running, we used LED headlamps and lanterns and oil lamps.

We had city water installed, before moving to the property, and I just haul water from the hydrant in gallon jugs for every day use. We could hook the camper directly to our water but there is a leak in one of the lines and we haven't been able to figure out exactly where, in order to fix it.

I hope this is some help! :D

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
We have lived in small mortorhomes, travel trailers and 5th wheels for the past 9 years. I would put in a regular fridge, not an rv one. I would definitely park somewhere with elec. if poss. As far as price of rental slips, they vary as you all have found out. State parks and BLM land were the least expensive for us, but not all have electric. 33ft. is assuredly large enough for 2 adults and one dog who hopefully have a good communicative relationship(no, not the dog). The first year was a little rocky for us. Go to Woodalls.com and check for parks in the area they might not know about.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
plus there are free dump sites for black tank. or sometimes you only have to pay a small fee to use any campgrounds sewer dump station.

many people boondock all the time. once you find that dump station close by every week he just needs to drive and dump. no different than someone taking a bit to run to the convenience/landfill each week and get rid of trash.

dump charge is usually $5 to $10 per dump.

so that way as long as he can find elec. he can park anywhere, and once a week go off and dump. of course being water conservative is important. you don't want to dump too often cause it is a pain, but he can easily control that.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
They also make small portable tanks that attatch to the sewer hose and you just dump the tank instead of moving the rv.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hello...sorry for the delay...but thank you for your kind responces...
and interesting tips..
they unfortunately found..mold,,and extensive moisture damage...
and gudded it way down.to get rid of it....but they are young optimistic...and sinking there paws into
making there new home...
snapshot...I am wondering why you say not rv one???
I passed on a tip for craiglist special...oldie but goodie cheep rv fridge
that they did get...which isn't hooked up to propain yet..but seems fine on electric..
so now I think probably the most challenging would be the water shower issue..