Money saving recipes?

angimw

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just read through all of the posts under "how do you save on your grocery bill?" and it made me think about how sick of cooking the same old recipes I am. What are your cheap and easy go to recipes for dinners and snacks especially? You all offer so much great advice, I can't wait to see what's out there. :D

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In The SS Kitchen section on here, there is a thread called 'fun recipe's needed' that has a lot of meal ideas in it. Sorry, I am not good with links :lol:

BTW :welcome

wish I could spell :p

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My cheap go to recipe is just chicken, rice, and broccoli... all cut bite sized and mixed together... then smothered in cheese :) It's super simple and yummy.

Or salsa chicken... just dump chicken in the slow cooker, pour a bottle of salsa over... leave it on low for 8 hours, serve over rice and sprinkle with some swiss cheese (or whatever you like)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cheap meals

well they start with CHEAP sales from the store AND in combination with what I grow/can/freeze/preserve on the farm.

I live on chicken mostly. Good thing we all love chicken here. My cheap meals are deer and chicken. Deer probably cost more per lb. than the chickens lol cause hubby loves to buy hunting stuff, but it is alot of 'free' meat. I used to have my own chickens. Now I don't. Sold out of the biz SO I buy chickens from my farmer friends I know. Good thing so many years in the farmer biz I sure know who has what products for sale and they are friends, so when they process....I volunteer to help on that day and I get birds for free. Yup. Delish fresh and into the freezer they go. well worth the trade of time for meat.

So key is get your ingredients cheap. Then you produce cheap meals.

My dinners are always meat and veggies. I cook simple. Pork chops and green beans and mashed taters. that type of thing. basic meals. I don't cook fancy lol
Pork chops from my local slaughterhouse buddy, green beans I canned, and taters I grew and froze.

My cheapest meals are SOUP. Leftovers and use of boiling bones etc and all that go into delish soups. So since it is end of the line for leftovers mostly, I guess soaps are my cheapest meals per price.

Then good old burgers on the grill. With grilled corn on the cob. yum. cheap and I love it

When I get super bored with the same recipes, I do one of 2 things. Go out to eat for a totally different taste like Chinese or Cajun. Or I grocery shop and literally buy very different things for a few crazy meals. Like shrimp on sale, load up. Crab legs or a duck. I bought some shark. It was expensive, on sale, but delish actually. Shark is very different lol
gives me that feeling of not eating the same old all the time.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We make what we call "sludge" becouse.. well that is kinda what it looks like. :) 10 lbs potatoes pealed and quartered boiled on the stove, pour most of the water off add 3-4 cans drained green beans, and 2 lb cooked sausage, salt and pepper. I like to add 1 lb cooked bacon, my mom likes hamburgure, my sister likes ham. I have added corn or onions in the past but like it the regular way best. Hope this helps.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have one dish...dunno what it's called but it's cheap and easy...my favorite combination :lol: You just peel and halve some potatoes and line the bottom of a stock pot with them, add water up to the top of the potatoes. Quarter a head of cabbage and put on the potatoes to steam as the poatatoes cook, and your favorite sausage links to steam on top for the fat to drain down through the cabbage to flavor the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. It takes about 15 minutes prep, and 30 minutes to cook. One pot meal, and delicious on a cold winter day!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I call that a New England Boiled Dinner! We just had it this week. I saut`e the cabbage and onions in butter first and then add taters, carrots and sausage. Mmmm

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
snapshot said:
I call that a New England Boiled Dinner! We just had it this week. I saut`e the cabbage and onions in butter first and then add taters, carrots and sausage. Mmmm
Cool! I never knew what it was called. My grannyma gave me the recipe as she used to make it ALL the time and I loved it! I just never heard her call it anything :hu We usually use kielbasa on top, and it is delish :drool

Latest posts