Money Saving Tips for your Car

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
As a result, I am now doing 208,0000 miles on my 1998 Mazda MPV :D
I had a 1989 Mazda 626 with 298,000 mi when I finally had to give it up. The only reason I did was because the frame under the trunk had rotted away to the point of no return. Those engines will run forever with good maintenance.

As far as saving money - don't forget about the air filter. A dirty filter can rob your gas mileage as well.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I had a Ford Probe (which is basically a 626 underneath) and it ran great. Had around 167,000 miles on it when some moron squished it. We once had a Volvo that was over 250,000 miles when we sold it to a pizza delivery driver for $200. Same thing with an old Honda Accord. The only reason we sold the accord was it was so ugly I was embarassed to drive it!

Poor thing was caught in one of the worst hail storms on record and looked like someone beat it with a ball peen hammer. Shortly after that, hubby forgot to put it in park and it went off a cliff. still ran and drove fine but DAMN it looked rough. :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Great suggestion Pat. I never buy new. We typically spend $3000-$5000, pay cash, keep the oil changed, and drive our cars until they blow up :D. Hubby is currently driving a Ford Concord someone GAVE us because the interior was all torn up. We traded some printing for car repairs with a body shop guy and it works fine. The parts cost us $150.

If you do the math, you can end up saving $100,000-$200,00 over a lifetime by not buying a new car in finance charges alone (assuming you are a typical American and but a new car ever 4-5 years).
I've never bought new and haven't even bought used on payments for years and years. I figure I've saved a bundle! Some lady was bragging/complaining at work every day about her high car payment ($800 a month) and her high insurance payments ($5000 a year). Folks were getting pretty tired of hearing her every day because they knew it was just a way of bragging about her high dollar ride, so one day I just had to say it~ :p

I told her I'm surprised she would ever tell anyone about that. She looked surprised and asked why? I told her that my car doesn't cost me anything a month and my insurance is practically nil~and we both get to work every day just the same!!! She never bragged about her money sled after that! :lol: :rolleyes:

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great tips! I didn't know that keeping your car washed would help so much! I'll tell that to my husband because he always complains about my going through the car wash. ;)

I've noticed a lot of difference in my gas mileage since I slowed down. The highway that I use the most is 65, so I just set my cruise control at 65, and cruise on up (I know 60 is better, but I can't bear to go UNDER the speed limit! I'm a reformed leadfoot). One thing I noticed when gas prices went really high was that a lot people were slowing down. Of course, the Hummers and F-350s still blow past me! :lol:

That reminds me - I need to change my air filter!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
One tip about car washes. Stay away from the ones with brushes. Use only the touchless ones. Those brushes get dirty from washing car after car after car,and they will basically wet sand and buff away your clearcoat!! Rust on most vehicles anymore depends a LOT on make/model and location of the owner. I live in Ohio,and the vehicles here rust in different ways and places than say a car from Florida or Texas near the coast. On some vehicles, and chassis bath can force water/salt into places it might not ever get to. I'm not saying the chassis bath doesn't help, it just might not help on EVERY car;)
My Ram 2500 has just over 150,000 miles on it,and the wifes Durango has just over 120,000. Neither one was bought new. THe Durango I pulled form a salvage yard and rebuilt it when it was only 1.5 years old. It had a tree fall thru the roof! No frame or driveline damage whatsoever. We plan on driving it to at LEAST 200,000.My truck I will keep until it rusts into the ground.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Couple tips.
We bought a new 4x4 pick up truck.
They offer all kinds of stuff at purchase and we bought the disability insurance among other things. 5 months later DH is disabled big time. Bad enough to qualify for SSD. Essentially we got the truck for free after 5 pmts.
It was a real battle though.
At one point the insurance co said we only had the disability coverage for 2 years and ceased pmts on the bank loan even though our contract said until paid off.
Phone calls to them proved fruitless which leads me to tip two.
We filed a consumer complaint report with our state insurance board against the insurer, with documentation, our version and let them sort it out. State said free truck.
Tip three- no lawyer needed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow sylvie that is cool....I never heard of anyone getting their vehicle for free that way. Tony and I have the "if one dies, the vehicle is paid off in full" extra on our car loan. I don't think it is disability...I will check out of curiousity now.

free truck after 5 payments......actually what a blessing cause if he is disabled a new truck means a long life of a good vehicle without worry....that is great! thanks for the tips too...good to know.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought new tires. AMAZING how much smoother the car rides and how much less resistance it has to fight against when the tires are actually ROUND! LOL

I went to Discount Tire. Spent $296 for all 4 tires with a warranty plus free rotation and flat repair.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my goodness I think of tires as a necessary EVIL
I hate those prices big time.
Tony's truck is awful...about $600 and he wants to spend more but I tell him forget it...LOL-----and those were the price before they have increased...should be over $700 for those same tires the next time we buy them. UGH

also tractor tires are horrendous!

just something about spending money on tires that makes me ill.....
but sure makes a diff. on the vehicle!