Montana

HarlansHollowAussies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:frow Hi everyone, is there anyone here from Big Sky Country?
My husband and I just moved to Sidney last year from KY, so this area is new to us. We try to be as self sufficient as possible and are expending each day.
Currently, my projects are getting my chicken coop up and a fence around the garden area. I am also looking into getting a small wind turbine, as there is certainly enough wind here to power our house +. I it a work in progress.
I love to make alot of our own products. I believe I have totally rid our home of chemical cleaning agent, store bought soap and laundry detergents. Soon we will no long purchase store bought eggs or chickens and we are starting our own micro brewery! I also can alot of our own vegies and juice. We fish and hunt for most of our meat products, and hopefully as soon as we get chickens we will no longer get meat from the grocery.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't live there but visited there once back when the wils fires were going crazy in the late 90's or early '00.

Beautiful country and so different from the east coast.
I also lived in KY for a few years. Lovely country.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can not imagine moving from ky to Montana. It's cold, wet and the growing season is almost nil. I know im from Montana. Funny thing is, my would be to go is kentucky! You can grow more there, less cold and way more easy to survive . But welcome to Montana !

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I live in KY and want to go to Montana!
Buff, what is it about Montana that you want to go there? When I was a kid and crazy about horses I also wanted to move to Montana or Wyoming. I think it was the "cowboy" thing and the fact that the Nez Perce Indians were there and I loved Appaloosa horses. The Nez Perce developed the Appaloosa or at least raised and bred them. ( If I remember my horse history and my Marguerite Henry books correctly.)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep, the Nez Perce developed the Appaloosa. Don't recall a MH book about them, though. :hu

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

I'm not from Montana, but hopefully you'll overlook that shortcoming about me ;)

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Why? It's so cold! Forget gardening, or growing fruits well some fruits any ways. Only a few places in Montana are warm enough to grow corn or longer growing items. It's cold long term here, and where I am it's cold until June! Already below zero by the end of October.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Doozerdoo1 said:
BarredBuff said:
Why? It's so cold! Forget gardening, or growing fruits well some fruits any ways. Only a few places in Montana are warm enough to grow corn or longer growing items. It's cold long term here, and where I am it's cold until June! Already below zero by the end of October.
I'm not sure, it appeals to me. But I'll probably stay in this region...it'd be a big change. :D