Made in Alaska
Reaction score
1635_bat_and_cabbage_004.jpg

1635_bat_and_cabbage_006.jpg

Mounts done by a local taxidermist.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think they're pretty cool! I was just busy reading ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is cool to see the size difference between the horse and the moose!

We (city though we are) have TWO taxidermists on our local square. The one store had a really cool mount of a stump with a stringer of HUGE bass hanging from it.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is really neat. And a good job. I never realized how big a moose was. Ive seen deer and elk. But not a moose.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have a question about the whole moose horse scene. Is the other moose antler strapped to the horse? Is the moose suppose to be attacking the horse because it has a moose antler strapped to it? And is that a bear in the background?
OK - its more than one question. But inquiring minds need to know. :hu Its also pretty cool.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
2dream said:
I have a question about the whole moose horse scene. Is the other moose antler strapped to the horse? Is the moose suppose to be attacking the horse because it has a moose antler strapped to it? And is that a bear in the background?
OK - its more than one question. But inquiring minds need to know. :hu Its also pretty cool.
It depicts the rare (though it does occur) instance, where a moose hunter on horseback has one of his string charged (and usually killed) by a rutting bull.
The moose rack is part of a harvested moose for the freezer.
A bit back in my journal, I posted pics of the moose hunt DH went on, on horse back.

Oh, yes that is a black bear skin on the wall :) its common for hunters to rug their best hides, even though its a meat hunt.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This reminded me of a story about DH's grandfather and his brother coming home from a dance one evening in Maine. As their (brand new!) Model T came over the hill, the lights picked out a bull moose standing in the road. Car came to a halt and humans looked at moose. Moose looked at car and gave a snort. The two men bailed out of the car as the moose charged, hit the car and pushed it back up the hill and over the embankment. Those suckers are BIG and STRONG!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
WOW BB - I always learn something new from you. Thanks for the explaination.