More about Kombucha

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use that over processed crap from wallyword.. :lol: Tetley tea bags both black and green and for the white tea and green macha it is bulk that I got at a Asian market in Grand Rapids mi.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just use the off brand black teabags, what ever is cheap!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies, Emerald and so lucky! :hugs

If you can't tell, I'm homesick for the healthfood store that we used to visit regularly when we lived in Middle TN. :(

We found a cool, small one when we first moved here and Robin was awesome...if he didn't have it, he'd get it for you. We haven't been able to get by his store in awhile because of hubbys' oddball schedule and the last time we went past there it was shut down, completely, when he should have been open. :hit

Thanks, again! :hugs

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
most of the big stores around here sell organic tea but I am so hooked on tetley! and lucky for me there is a good Healthfood store in the next town and the big city!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I stopped making Kombucha about 6 months ago and put my big fat SCOBY and one cup of Kombucha in a Tupperware bowl in the 'frig. Last week I decided to make another batch and I did it exactly like I had always done it before. Here it is 9 days later and all I have is very sweet tea in my bowl. Do you think my SCOBY died?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity,

I can't answer your question as I'm new to this...but, if you need a new SCOBY, I'll glady send you one! Feel free to PM me after you get an answer, or anytime, for that matter! ;)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your SCOBY is dead. You should be smelling and seeing the activity by now. Mine bubbles and smells like--well---kombucha. If I let it go too long it smells vinegary.
You might let it go another week or so, just to make sure. After being refrigerated it seems to take a while to recoup.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll give it more time. I usually bottle it after 7 or 8 days and it is perfect but not this time. Thanks for the offer Dawn, I may PM you in a few days.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
With the cooler weather, I let mine go for 2 weeks now, where in the summertime, it would be ready in 1 week. Cooler temperatures will make it take longer to properly ferment.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
With the cooler weather, I let mine go for 2 weeks now, where in the summertime, it would be ready in 1 week. Cooler temperatures will make it take longer to properly ferment.
Yeah I'm not allowing for the cooler weather - so you may be right. I used to always put my big bowl of mixture on the water heater in our utility room where the temperature was a steady 80F all the time. But for some strange reason I left the bowl on the dining table this time. Time will tell.