More sheep coming next week! (was: need encouragement)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I like the names too; I am surprised that my son picked those rather than something like "Killer Dragon" or "Monster Truck" or "Darth Vader", it gives me hope that he will outgrow kindergarten someday :)

Nope, these are not shetlands, these are a full sized dairy cross (Dorset on British Milksheep) - shetlands won't be here til probably July.

Thanks for the treat ideas everyone, I will try them and see what the sheepies think. I've already spent a fair while just sitting in their pen talking to them and letting them get used to me being around but otherwise not bothering them; I figured that what works with shy cats and shy horses would probably also work with sheep, and from what you say it does. They were braver already this morning, although the bucket o grain in my hand may have had something to do with that LOL.

I have found that if I *need* to approach close to them when they are cornered in the end of the (long narrow) pen, it helps a lot to turn my back and slowly step backwards at them. A horse would take this Very Amiss but apparently sheep are thinking more in terms of me being a predator and it seems to reassure them a lot.

So they are still alive this morning. Only 364 more days to go, to make it a year them continuing to survive, LOL

Sheepishly,

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
They're fine. They're sheep :) More like "larval stage of a sweater" than like furry people, but, by sheep standards they seem to be doing well :) If I actively move closer than about 2-3' from them they get all scaredy but otherwise they seem to have accepted me as Food Lady and they like to sniff me when I'm sitting out there watching them. They have cute noses. I'm just now starting getting them onto a little bit of grass, gradually.

The vet showed me how to vaccinate them when he was out for the horses yesterday, he did their first Covexin8 shot and I will booster it in 6 weeks or whatever. And I wormed them although it turns out that a large syringe is really not a great drenching implement for sheep and I *need* to order something purpose-made to pick up when I am in the States next month, in hopes of getting more wormer actually *into* the sheeps :p

I was actually about to post an update to this thread this morning anyhow -- need to go back to the first post and edit the thread title -- there has been a change in plans and I am getting my Shetlands next weekend (May 1)! It will be a 2 yr old ewe, with her by-then-will-be-wethered two week old lamb at her side, and a yearling ram to breed from. This was not exactly the original plan, but, I think it will work well. I hope it will. Er, it had darn well BETTER work well. Or at least okay. Eeep :)

Pat

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on the cute sheep. :ya I happy for you that you had the courage to go for it and I bet you'll be a great sheep mama. It's usually that "fear of taking the first step" that is the hardest, but once you get past that it all seems to work out.
You've really inspired me to rethink my desire & plan for a milking goat.
Way to go!!! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
"larval stage of a sweater"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only you, Pat! :gig :lol:

Been a long time since I had to call a meeting of PISSI....the meeting will now come to order...all with wet pants say, "AYE!" :frow