More sheep coming next week! (was: need encouragement)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh, how cute!!!

(My wooly sheep never stays clean looking btw, it is the lanolin I think. My hair sheep is as white as the driven snow.)

I got my sheep at different times. They both went on hunger strikes during the first few days. I was so scared with the last one I even opened a thread about it over at BYH.

Now they love apples, apple leaves, and carrots. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Looking good! There lives are changing for the better living with you. Imagine never being allowed to go outside of the barn. No wonder they are scared.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Try carrot slices!! My Mione goatie was not so super thrilled to see me when I first got the two of them, I started hand feeting carrot slices. It make work for your sheepies, I know with the sheep we had hand feeding sweetfeed worked super awesome.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Probably at first I would just sit near the pen and watch them when they are eating. Do a lot of quiet talking as well. This gives them a chance to see, smell and hear you while you are in a quiet low to the ground non threatening position. We have had a few wild horses and other animals that this has worked with quite well.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of sheep people! My sheep's favorite treat is BOSS, and purple clover flowers. And hair, as in, my hair attached to my head. :/

My sheep really like it when I go out there and sit still with them and let them sniff me all over. For some reason they love sniffing my face.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oh, they are so cute.
Now we can compare, sheep versus goats :lol:

I spent a lot of time in the pen with my goats. But the lady I got them from seemed to really love the goat kids and handled them too. Considering how many she had and kept getting, that was kind of a pleasant thing to hear. I am still trying to find out what my goats love to eat, besides their bottle.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Pat, they are beautiful and I love their names! Pretty soon you will be asking how you can get them to stop following you around, looking for treats..... :lol: I can't move a step around here without Bettys and a ram up my rear....feels eerie! :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How super sweet!! I Love the names. As for befriending them...just go in and sit down...talk to them in a regular voice..no baby talk. They need to get used to your voice, smell, and movements. Move VERY slow at first. Any quick movements makes them think...predator! As for treats...this might not sound so healthy...but mine LOVE that puff corn stuff. My grandson came over with a bag....and preceeded to feed a few of the sheep. They like to come through the fence for it. Of course, I only let him give them a few pieces...but wow. Clover if you have it growing yet..they love it!! Congrats on your new babies....they are beautifull. Did you say they were Shetlands?? My shetland babies are now 3 weeks old...and I can sit and watch them for hours in the pasture....jumping, running..and when I go in there, they come running up, wanting neck scratches. Just under the chin....all my sheep like that area scratched.