More sheep coming next week! (was: need encouragement)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
How do sheep and goats get along?
What on earth does sheeps milk taste like?

The reason I might be going into a sheep or goat soon is I might have found a new home for my horse, and the horse's current buddy is a Boer goat that doesn't do much except eat and poop - but I don't want him to be alone if the horse goes.

I'd love to have a sheep - and get lots of WOOL! :weee but I've never tasted sheeps milk! :th not that I fancy goats milk either but I do love Feta!

I suggested a cow to my hubby but he rolled his eyes skyward!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quite honestly, it tastes like melted ice cream( as in sweet), but thin--milk like consistency. Honestly, I never thought it would or could be as good as it is. We are quite happy with our decision to get sheep for milk.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I was on the fence about wether to get goats or sheep. I am getting goats, because that is what I found on CL.
I had been looking all over the place for either.
If it doesn't work out, I can always sell them. They sure don't last long on CL. Or I can donate them to our Humane Society's Forget-me-not Farm. A place to rehabilitate animals and kids.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
How do sheep and goats get along?

The reason I might be going into a sheep or goat soon is I might have found a new home for my horse, and the horse's current buddy is a Boer goat that doesn't do much except eat and poop - but I don't want him to be alone if the horse goes.

I'd love to have a sheep - and get lots of WOOL! :weee but I've never tasted sheeps milk! :th not that I fancy goats milk either but I do love Feta!

I suggested a cow to my hubby but he rolled his eyes skyward!
I've asked about sheep and goats before and it seems there are issues with minerals that one has to have that the other can't have, so apparently it's a little tricky.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
The amounts of copper that are safe for goats are toxic for sheep. Otherwise they get along with each other quite well.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
The amounts of copper that are safe for goats are toxic for sheep. Otherwise they get along with each other quite well.
Thanks BB, that is what I was so confusedly refering to!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pat, glad you finally came to a decision,I would hate to think of you tossing and turning all night with little sheep and goats jumping around in your dream lol

But seriously-I hope sheep are thing right choice for you, and like you said if it doesn't work sell them.

I have never thought about milking sheep, but Iam very excited to milk LaLa,( my milk nanny)hopeing to get started this week.

Have fun!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whoops, Sorry I kind of left my post hanging there. I meant to write more, but had a kittycatty emergency.

Like I said before, there is a breeder of Nigerian Dwarfs out in Campbellville and she is reasonably priced. Beautiful animals.

Latest posts