More than 3 million without power.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And we just had some storms overnight that knocked out power in places. And, there's a chance of storms tonight! But at least it's supposed to be cooler tomorrow. :fl

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just got power restored today...power and, of course, the well pump has been off since June 28? I think...not sure of the date, they all run together when you are disconnected from the world. So..we've been without power and water for that long.

The good thing is that we have an outhouse, had plenty of water drawn up, had rain barrels out to catch water in which to wash our bodies and water the dog. We were able to save most of what was in the freezer by transferring it to people who had electricity and room in their freezers.

That is one reason I hate freezer storage...I like the bulk of my stored perishables to be canned into jars. No power, no problem when the food is in the jar.

We don't have AC anyway but it was wicked hot without window fans...like breathing a hot, wet towel all day with temps to 106 and max humidity.

The phones were off and on, over and over...still not sure when they will work or not still.

Each storm was fascinating to watch as tornado force winds took trees down right in front of our house and we sat out on the porch to watch it happen....sheer awesome power and a real blessing to get to see it without being out in it. Living in a log cabin has it's perks...sturdier construction than stick housing.

I hope no one out there was hurt and everyone has power restored....and I hope this was a learning opportunity for many. I prayed daily for those with children, handicapped and elderly to tend in this massive heat...quite a few succumbed to the heat and humidity amongst the elderly.

We sure took advantage of the opportunity to clean out the fridge and freezer, it was handy to have kerosene lamps and good battery lights, and one can get used to plain, ol' tepid water to drink...probably better for ya. It was good to have a very nice outhouse and to be prepared for when the power goes out...we have lots of books, we played cards and board games which I love, and we basically just tried to keep still in the heat.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Glad you're back on the air waves, Bee! Sounds like you could have been quite comfy for a while! LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad to see you back Beekissed. When hurricane Rita smashed through here right after hurricane Katrina wiped out New Orleans, our town filled with paniced people fleeing the city of Houston. We were swarmed, a 2 hour trip to get to our town took 20-28 hours with many running out of gas. We had no power, and felt so out of touch with what was happening. A smart alec friend sent us this text: When you can't watch the news, it is because you ARE the news!

I hope everyone in your area has power back on and has come though the storms OK.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah...the ol' Bat finally tracked down a utility truck and showed them where the lines were down or we would still be out of power....leave it up to the old ladies of the world to be the squeaky wheels! :D

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
we were out of power here in ohio, from fridy nite till the next sunday 9 days worth crazy time, supposeto have everyone back on by today

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
that big wind storm that came thru ohio june 30th, 85 mph winds , only lasted maybe 15 mins , but it knocked the bjesus out ofthe trees and powerlines

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Oh, the beginning of the Derecho that ripped through here and out into the ocean.
That was one nasty storm!