Mosquito..be gone...

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well it is that season again...
love to be outside...
but good gosh...can't say those blood suckers are making it pleasant..
Has anyone managed to come up with anything reasonably effective

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
This is going to sound nuts, and it won't stop them from biting you, but it will help get the population down. Leave standing water around. Then, check it daily. When you see wigglers in it, dump it.

If you have room, build a shallow pond. It doesn't have to be deep enough for fish. What you want in there are dragon and damsel fly larvae. Both will eat mosquito larvae, and the adults will eat the adult mosquitoes. Bats and certain birds will also eat the adults.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the onlything ive found that works with ANY deacencey is deet and/or catnip oil (catnip oil + lemon scented esential oil ie citonealla works even better) catnip essential oil is a bit expensive beause it takes alot of catnip to get a relitivly small amount of oil.
but its a much safer (and supposedly just as powerfull) version of Deet

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I haven't really tested this on mosquitos yet, but it seems to be working on other farm bugs that we deal with (gnats, flies, etc, etc, etc). I use a product from Young Living Essential Oils that is a capsule called Longevity. I take it daily, and I swear it is working. I used to be bothered a lot, and now it just doesn't seem to be so.

I'll have to update once I am in a place with a lot of mosquitos.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox..catnip...never knew ..good tip..not sure i have seen the oil out there but will look...I do have some growing...i may try some pocket satchets

deb...I Do have a small pond...the lady who lived here prior...would put feeder fish in...I tryed that last year...
but they seemed to hide under the rocks and then the herons...got the last of them...I will start making it part of my daily regime...to check...
the water though..not sure where one would get ahold of such larvee???
I Guess maybe sometimes the best way to erradicate is to deal with it before the problem exists..

hqueen13..humh...i think i did hear something about vitamins helping....All i know is they surely prefer my hubbys blood...he would get tons and I near non...
but this year they seem bad...always swirling around...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I only had maybe 2 good years out of my mosquito magnet and it somehow doesn't function now. DH was talking to me about dragonfly larvae just a few days ago. I think I'd like to have a bat house, but can't see it would help me because the bugs that bite me are low to the ground and the bats fly high up. Dragonflies are probably the best bet.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
If you have dragonflies in the area, there may already be dragonfly larvae in the pond.

If you have a problem w/herons eating the fish in your pond, see if you can find a fake heron to put at the edge. They do work to keep the heron away. I had a heron coming in for a landing-until it saw the "heron" already there.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
cheepo said:
Well it is that season again...
love to be outside...
but good gosh...can't say those blood suckers are making it pleasant..
Has anyone managed to come up with anything reasonably effective
I have garlic chives growing in my garden. Can't eat the darn things-me with the cast iron gut-I will belch garlic chives for hours after ingesting them. Blech! But I pull a few leaves, roll them in my fingers and rub them on my arms, where ever I have exposed skin and skeeters STAY AWAY!! The down side is, everybody else stays away too :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That can be a good thing. :D

AndysHomestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
im not saying it will 100% rid u of them, but i have 2 mosquito shoo geraniums and we haven't had any problems with bugs while sittong on the bench on the front porch. so much so, that i've started cloning them and giving them away to friends/family.

they aren't expensive and they are pretty plants.
1099.jpg