Mosquito..be gone...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love what I call "dragon fly dance". One of these days, i intend to write a kid's story about the same. I can sometimes hear them as they "snap" an insect out of the air. When the ants are "queening", the dragon flies will snag the queens, then drop them b/c of the hard exoskeleton. You can actually hear the "snap".

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a wife and 5 kids and here the mosquitos don't care what time of day or night it is. If you go outaide they swarm. It's not uncommon for a lid to come inside crying and welted and yelling about how terrible the mosquitos are.

Yes, I want to be safe and support my local wildlife. I spend a lot of time annually leading volunteer crews and educating people on our ecosystem, but even I have a limit. I'm trying to plant good stuff and spread good prairie grass and wildflower seed, but we'll see if that's enough.

When the dragonflies swarm it's a beautiful thing :)

in the future i hope they'll be able to innoculate the mosquito population so it doesn't spread dangerous diseases (same with bats of course), but we're not quite there yet in our knowledge and efforts. likely we'll be able to come up with some other things to prevent them from biting humans too, but that will be more difficult. i don't think eradication is the wise answer.