Most important to Grow in the garden for food

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've started growing Tepary Beans (https://www.nativeseeds.org/collections/tepary-beans ) because they are very drought tolerant, and the first beans I've ever found that reliably gave me dried beans in my short growing season. I also tried Ute squash ( https://www.beyondorganicseed.com/products/ute-winter-squash ) this last year, and it appears to not need as much water as other squashes. I planted six seeds and got something like 300 pounds of squash, and it holds so well that we STILL have one last squash sitting in storage. These two varieties are definitely staying in MY garden!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I made a pie first, using a recipe for pumpkin pie, but I had to reduce the sugar by a third because the squash was so sweet. I've also made hash using squash cubes and onion with leftover ham- that was a good one. I've used it in a chowder with sausage. Basically, I use it in any recipe that calls for squash or pumpkin. It's got a nice taste and texture. I've freeze dried some and canned some also,

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I made a pie first, using a recipe for pumpkin pie, but I had to reduce the sugar by a third because the squash was so sweet. I've also made hash using squash cubes and onion with leftover ham- that was a good one. I've used it in a chowder with sausage. Basically, I use it in any recipe that calls for squash or pumpkin. It's got a nice taste and texture. I've freeze dried some and canned some also,
I'll have to try UTE Squash sometime soon. I've never seen any squash like it before, very unique and interesting. Thanks for sharing about UTE with us :thumbsup

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts