Most unusual item in your "stash"

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am wondering if I have overlooked a vital item that I may need if TSHTF.

I have a large stockpile of razors. Why? Store easily, don't expire, and most importantly they were FREE. I figure that I can always trade them for other items that I may need.

So tell me, what do you consider your most unusal item that you have put back?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Well, not very sure if its so unusal in its self....honey....I'm sure lots of people have some stashed away.What may be a little unusal, is that i have so much, gallons and gallons of the stuff from my honeybees.It never goes bad, great barter item, so i keep stashing it away.But in general razor blades and honey aren't really unusal SHTF items...

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
True, they aren't that unusual, except for maybe the quantities. I am so excited, I just got my first nuc of bees last Saturday. They are really coming and going so I can't wait to take a peek this weekend to see how much foundation they have drawn... Sorry, off topic..:rolleyes:

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
No need to be sorry,about off topic...its your thread..lol...But since you mentioned bees/nucs...well, what the heck...lol...This is my 6th yr with bees, i lost everyhing this past winter, they starved. 6 hives...They had alot of honey going into the winter, but used their stores before i could do a Feb. check on a nice day.There were not many nice days around here this past Feb.If i got a look sooner i could have done emergency feeding and saved them.So, this spring i bought two Russian packages,my first bees were Italians. My two new hives are thriving, i couldn't believe how fast they built up, them girls are making honey...!! The hives are three med. boxes each, stuffed with bees and are working on filling a honey super each..My two new queens are excellent egg layers, great pattern.They were both 4lb. packages, i got mid Apirl...I already had drawn comb, so they had a good head start that way. Honeybees are great, and a big stash of your own honey it fantastic....good luck...what kind of bees did you buy...?

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They are mongrels really but ones that do (supposedly) really well in IN/KY. They have Italian somewhere along the line, but I am not sure how "pure" they are.

I suspect that they have a good percentage- they are really mellow and easygoing. When I put the nuc in, not one got aggressive and they had been sitting in a box for several hours on a hot day. I hope that I can keep them alive- bees are so important.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, most unusual?? Well, seems as we are smokers... :hide I was getting these coupons for FREE SNUS. When I bought a carton of ciggs, I got 10 free SNUS. We dont "dip" but, it was free, and I put them in food saver bags...air tight. I figure, they should barter well....LOL I think there are over 100 packs in there. Someone will want them....im sure. Oh, and sewing needles....I bet I have over 1000. When I go to the auction...I look for old sewing baskets, and snag them up. Buttons?? Oh, I have buttons...LOTS of them :D

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
After awhile they are all mutts/mongrels, unless you keep requeening.When virgin queens fly off to mate, no one knows what type a drone she'll breed with.The drones all hang out, from all the different local hives waiting for a queen to mate with.So its anybody's guess and the gene pool gets mixed, so they are all mutts.Unless you requeen, with a proven queen of a specific type.My queens are Russians, but if the hive swarms,because i didn't remove queen cells,the new queen will be a mutt, because she likely didn't mate with a pure Russian drone...Anyway...mutts are fine...:) Is your nuc a five frame nuc...? Have you moved your bees into a ten frame box yet, deep or med.? In my area eastern long island,ny the girls are working on the black locust flow,its our first major necter flow, along with lots of wild flower and some crops.Summer may bring a derth, then a good flow of golden rod in the fall, i hope..lol Are ya still feeding your bees or no..? I'd love to know what you find when you inspect your bees.Feel free to ask questions, i'll try to help , and of course there is Beesource.com with tons of info and some other smaller groups of natural beekeepers online as well,You likely already know that......lol..

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think razors , honey and maple syrup are perfectly normal! Anything that keeps a long time and can be bartered in a pinch is a good idea.

My slightly weird item is shredded unsweetened coconut. I have it because I really like coconut AND you can use it to make coconut milk. Since I lack a cow or a goat, having a light weight source for a dairy type item seemed smart to me!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
My slightly weird item is shredded unsweetened coconut. I have it because I really like coconut AND you can use it to make coconut milk. Since I lack a cow or a goat, having a light weight source for a dairy type item seemed smart to me!
Hey WZ, is this just shredded coconut in a bag? How do you make dairy from it? Ya got me curious. Maybe a topic for a separate post. ;)