Motivations

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to say that pretty much everyone was a "prepper" even if they didn't know it, because they had a spare tire in the trunk of their car (why? you only need 4 to drive the thing, right?); but I've found out that a lot of the new cars don't even come with that funky donut tire anymore-- if you are lucky, you get a can of that tire repair spray. :th

I don't think that it's fear that motivates a person to put things by; it's actually a supreme act of optimism- that you'll still be around to enjoy that item when the time comes. In the same way, I think planting a seed in the ground is one of the most profound acts of faith there is; you are entering into a covenant with God.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was reading in Leviticus yesterday about letting your fields go fallow every 7 years. God promised to grow 3X the amount on the 6th year so I'm sure that meant you were to lay up extra.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think that it's fear that motivates a person to put things by; it's actually a supreme act of optimism- that you'll still be around to enjoy that item when the time comes. In the same way, I think planting a seed in the ground is one of the most profound acts of faith there is; you are entering into a covenant with God.

I like that! And, not only optimism to enjoy that item when the time comes, but optimism that you will "be there" when the "disaster" subsides.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was reading in Leviticus yesterday about letting your fields go fallow every 7 years. God promised to grow 3X the amount on the 6th year so I'm sure that meant you were to lay up extra.

But only on that 6th year. ;) The rest of the time, if you grew extra it was to be given to the poor and each year they were also to leave the corners and edges of the field not harvested so the poor could glean it.

“When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes leave the gleanings. There are actually some gleaning programs today but not where we live. We mostly do small truck gardens or home gardens but in some areas are farm producers that work with this program. It's still a good idea to let the ground rest every few years.