Motorized Bicycles in your future?

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here about 2 years ago my wife bought me a motor for my bicycle. These are production motor kits designed to put right no a bicycle and are 50cc two strokes.Kit includes everything you need including the chain sprockets and gas tank. There are several sites that sell them and most are well under $200. I think mine was $135 with shipping.

If you put lights and mirror on them, most states allow them on the road with out a drivers license. As they are considered mopeds and under 50cc's. They usually average about 100 mpg. With the way things are getting some people may want to check into putting one on a bike to do running around.

There is a design where there is 2 wheels in front with a box and you put the rest of the bike in the back with the motor. These make great delivery carts or even a cheap transportation for doing grocery runs.

BTW: you can peddle, use the motor or both if you want. At a 100 miles to the gallon, it might be a great alternative when things start to tighten up.

here is a picture of one done up by someone. http://buyvintage.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/012p.jpg?w=470

here is a link to a bunch of picture of motorized bicycle.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...torized+bike&fr=moz35&ei=utf-8&x=wrt&y=Search

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Its all good if you live in or near town ;)
Course, that is the eventual goal of certain powers that be.
No more rural people that can do it themselves, with clear, fluoride free brains.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very cool

but on my roads I wouldn't last an hour lol

not for my location but I truly am considering getting a 3 wheel motorcycle (gotta look into them, don't know a thing about them)

I hate motorcycles (like horses more, but they aren't good for grocery shopping) but a 3 wheel bike has me interested. one day I will check into them.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Something like this would be perfect for me. I live in the burbs in between a small town and a large town. Plenty of good paved roads. Now the other idiot drivers not running me over...that is whole nother thang :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There's a fella in my town that has one and it is amazingly fast! He had it for sale the other day for $400.

The only thing I would be wary of is if a tire blew out going that fast, especially a front tire. I don't know if many bikes are meant for running consistently at those speeds unless it would be professional style racing bikes.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Going faster than I can pedal on a bike would freak me out.

But I didn't have a car for years and rode everywhere and quite long distances when needed--even had a second-hand baby trailer that my 2 kids rode in when they were small, that was a work out let me tell you (especially coming home from the grocery store or farmer's market!)

We all have bikes and use them regularly, if they became our primary mode of transport we'd need to add paniers to the kids' bikes (we have baskets and paniers already) but they're easy to sew.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's why I have my motorcycle.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're currently in central Florida and just yesterday I saw an old bicycle built for two with a home made platform sticking out the back. There was an old lawn mower engine on the platform and the man and woman riding went whizzing along at about 20 mph. Pretty neat!

If anyone is interested in this kind of thing here is a cool forum for motorized bicycles.

http://motorbicycling.com/