Mouse repellent

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of the little mousies that like to get in my utensil drawers & leave little presents for me. Setting traps doesn't seem to be very effective or productive. I've seen products advertised that are a little packet with a natural mouse repellent that you can put in places where mice like to hang out. Is there something I can make myself that will do the same job?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I do know of one product that really works to keep them out of your drawers...and I love using it as a cleaner. It is sold by Malelueca...and it is called soluguard botanical. It smells wonderful, and the main ingredient is thyme oil.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I googled mouse repellents. Mice hate the smell of cloves, mint, and cayenne pepper. So I made little sachets of cloves & mint (only have cayenne powder - probably would get a little messy). No mice have left "presents" yet.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is good info
I did not know that.
I never thought of repelling, just killing...hmm...thanks!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We use hawk rodent block for killing. For deterent we use dryer sheets! I read that they hate the smell and stay away from areas with them. So I went around and put dryer sheets everywhere they liked to go. Now and then I still find the poison nibbled on, but for the most part I find NO evidence of them being anywhere the dryer sheets are! I don't ask questions, I just am glad it works.
Now, If I could only get dryer sheets behind/under my dishwasher then I'd be all set. Change them every so often to keep the scent fresh.

Monica

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I read that, too! They must be really picky about the way things smell. Kinda weird that a rodent would be particular about that!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the cloves & mint aren't working so well. I found the telltale evidence of a mouse in one of my utensil drawers. So EVERYTHING goes into a sinkful of hot, soapy water. Now I'm trying dryer sheets. We'll see how that goes. The only thing I'm worried about is that the smell of the sheets will 'rub off' on the utensils & make things taste funny. But if it keeps the *&^$ mice out, I can deal with that! :lol:

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you borrow a cat? Works like a charm....

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The sad thing is, we HAVE a cat! She's just so fat & lazy that she doesn't bother with mice. And the mice must know it. :rolleyes:

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
The sad thing is, we HAVE a cat! She's just so fat & lazy that she doesn't bother with mice. And the mice must know it. :rolleyes:
What ever happened with the mice repellent idea? I have come to that....seeking a mice repellent. It is a major cleaning job to go through all the cabinets to vacuum up the mouse pellets and then wipe down with vinegar water. I put clove oil on a piece of steel wool in a mouse hole....but I suspect there are more holes in this old house. So, my project of the day is researching mice repellent.