Mouse repellent

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm........... got me thinking. If mice don't want to be in an area of a prediter, could I take the shed skins and poop from my snakes and put them in the crawl space and celler to keep the mice from coming in? And put them around around the garden to keep the rats out? And I have a friend who has a pet store I could do the same with litter from the ferrits. But I also don't want my house to smell, so maybe just the skins! And the rest around the garden.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That might do it, too. Kind of along the lines of putting used cat litter on gopher, mole and vole holes. Doesn't kill them, they just move on. Heck, you pay big bucks for commercial stuff that's dried fox urine (or some such critter).

The mice probably pick up scents less noticeable to us, so maybe if the poo was dried enough to where you couldn't smell it, the mice still could. What about putting poo in something like a cottage cheese container with some holes punched in it?

OR know anyone with a cat? Offer to brush the cat, bring home the cat hair and throw that in the crawl space?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Kinda embarrassed to say, I have 2 housecats.:hide 2 huge Persians. They are the most useless animals on the planet! They lay on the tv and desk and give you that look of "realy, I don't hardly think so!"

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Kinda embarrassed to say, I have 2 housecats.:hide 2 huge Persians. They are the most useless animals on the planet! They lay on the tv and desk and give you that look of "realy, I don't hardly think so!"
Cats are good at that. I had a maine coon for 8 yrs...and the only thing I saw him kill was a cardinal.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That would mean they would have to move! Truly the only time smokey blue moves is to go eat and then, back on the desk!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The idea of the skins, hair and poop is a very good idea, but you would need to refresh it occasionally as the mice are probably perfectly able to tell that it's been a while since the predator has been around - all the poop is old, etc.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cknmom said:
We use hawk rodent block for killing. For deterent we use dryer sheets! I read that they hate the smell and stay away from areas with them. So I went around and put dryer sheets everywhere they liked to go. Now and then I still find the poison nibbled on, but for the most part I find NO evidence of them being anywhere the dryer sheets are! I don't ask questions, I just am glad it works.
Now, If I could only get dryer sheets behind/under my dishwasher then I'd be all set. Change them every so often to keep the scent fresh.

Monica
I believe Snuggle is the one that works the best.

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ours are barn cats. they only time they come around is to have kittens, yes they are worthless. but our labs hunt them here in the house and one even catchs them

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got my daughter a kitten for christmas. His mother was supposed to be a good mouser. We will see.

The neighbor down the road about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile has rats soooooo bad! He went out to his chicken coop the other night and when he opened the door he said there were at least 100-150 rats in there. And he had been hearing them chew the floor of his trailer. He went to farm and home and got some poison in a gallon bucket and took the lid off and put it under his sink and the next morning, the poison was all gone and the bucket was almost gone from being chewed. He picked up 240 dead rats! He has so far gone threw 4 of those buckets. Now that is bad!

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Pure peppermint oil--not the cooking kind!--will run them off. Be warned though if you use this in just one room they'll congregate in the other rooms to avoid it. Just soak a cottonball in it and toss it under the bed, in a drawer, etc. We also used peppermint in the barn and it kept them from overrunning us as bad as they were trying to. It works better indoors as it stays stronger! I swear by this tactic.